18th Century

Liverpool timeline snippets you just need to know!

The salt and coal trades are key to the ports expansion along with improved canal/river transport infrastructure.

  • 1700 – ‘The Liverpool Merchant’ slave ship sold cargo of 200 slaves in Barbados
  • 1700 – Richard Norris of Speke Hall sends ‘slave’ ship to Guinea and West Indies – ‘The Blessing’
  • 1700 – Gateacre Unitarian Church built – still there
  • 1701 – Thomas Johnson MP until 1727 – (instigated the services of Thomas Steers for building the Old Dock)
  • 1702 – Juggler St now known as High St
  • 1702 – Knowsley Hall developed from hunting lodge, extended 1820, 2,500 acres of parkland – Earl of Derby (Stanley family)
  • 1703 – Great gale causes damage to ships – increases call for a dock
  • 1704 – Liverpool now importing 760tons of sugar per annum
  • 1704 – St Peters Church built on Church St – demolished 1922 – second parish church to support St Nicks
  • 1705 – Daniel Defoe (author of Robinson Crusoe) visits Liverpool. He said: ‘Liverpool has an opulent, flourishing and increasing trade to Virginia and English colonies in America.
  • 1705 – Oil Mill mentioned on site of St Georges Hall
  • 1705 – Pauls Mill – Cockspur St/Smithfield St (there was Mill Lane (now Edmund ST) down to Old Hall St
  • 1705 – Removal for fraud of Liverpool’s chief customs official
  • 1706 – Almshouses in Hanover St – Richard Warbrick
  • 1707 – Chapel in Key St (off Tithebarn) became St Mathews, knocked down for Exchange Station (Mercury Court)
  • 1708 – Now 36 streets, 1,287 rateable houses, population about 7,000
  • 1708 – First mentions of ‘Scouse’ dish
  • 1708 – Approx. 100 French Palantine protestants settle in Liverpool – ex Nantes
  • 1709 – New charter granted by Queen Anne
  • 1709 – Parliamentry Act passed to allow building of Steers Old Dock
  • 1709 – from 1709 to 1811 Liverpool Corporation acts as Trustees managing the docks by a committee appointed from their own body. Causes future resentment as the old burgesses and freemen did not pay dues, and Corp accused of using port levys to benefit Liverpool only
  • 1709 – John Earle is Mayor – his sons Ralph and Thomas are also future Mayors
  • 1709 – The Pool is filled in
  • 1709 – Quakers Meeting House, Hackins Hey
  • 1710 – Castle moat filled in by now (part survives under Castle Moat House, inc. tunnel to James St)
  • 1710 – Molyneuxs leave Sefton Hall and go to Croxteth Hall
  • 1708 – Bluecoat School – School Lane,(rebuilt 1717) Bryan Blundell – started in premises of Cross’s Free Grammar School, new buildings 1719 – ‘distinctive features include the oldest known
  • Liver Birds in Liverpool’
  • 1712 – St Mary’s RC Church – first RC since Reformation – Edmund St (may have been 1707)
  • 1712 – Earle St laid out
  • 1714 – Richard Gildart – Bevington Hill – Mayor
  • 1715 – Steers/Old Dock built – leads to development of Hanover St/Duke St – First three ships were: Mulberry; Batchelor; Robert. Closed on 31 August 1826
  • 1720 – the council mortgage all of town to a London gentleman to raise more money for dock completion
  • 1715 – First Liverpool newspaper – The Courant
  • 1715 – Seamen’s Library at the Parish Church of St Peter
  • 1715 – Some ad-hoc fortifications erected as James III marches down from Scotland
  • 1715 – Gallows Mill – Stafford St/London Rd – 1716 four Jacobite rebels hung/drawn/quartered – demolished around 1800
  • 1715 – Glass manufactory – Josiah Poole – Argyle St/Paradise St
  • 1716 – Four Jacobians hanged in Liverpool – Gallows Mill – Stafford St/Audley St
  • 1716 – First dated and recorded piece of Liverpool Pottery – ‘Crosby Plaque’ – delft ware – probably Shaws pottery, Shaws Brow (Fontenoy -to- Trueman St area, then extended up hill).
  • 1718 – Two hand drawn Mandrel & Grey engines were gifted to the Town and were passed to the St Nicholas Vestry by Thos Bootle , these were the first fire engines in the town
  • 1720 – Weaver widened, also Mersey and Irwell rivers dredged
  • 1720 – Around 1500 freeman in Liverpool now who begin to challenge the corporation
  • 1721 – Market place opened in Derby Sq as castle demolished
  • 1721 – Bryan Blundell Mayor – again in 1728
  • 1722 – Ranelagh Pleasure Gardens – White House (site of Adelphi) – by 1759 included fish-pond/gardens/bandstand
  • 1722 – 4th Customs House – Canning Place next to Old Dock
  • 1722 – Button St cut, also possibly Rainford Gardens
  • 1723 – Windmill at London Rd/Stafford St
  • 1724 – George Stubbs born – renowned sporting artist
  • 1724 – Thomas Bolton becomes Mayor
  • 1725 – Earl of Derby has purchased estates of the Moore family whom had gone bankrupt
  • 1725 – Six new bells placed in tower of St Nicholas Church
  • 1726 – Castle finally demolished (site for St Georges Church)
  • 1726 – Calderstones Park – purchased by Thomas Martin, eventually into hands of council in 1902
  • 1726 – Road to Prescot – London Rd, turn-piked
  • 1726 – Ye Hole in Ye Wall – Haskins Hey off Dale St
  • 1726 – Rigby’s Buildings Dale St – now pub – site of George Hotel – front remodelled 1865. Owned by Thomas Rigby 1852 – 1886
  • 1727 – Benn’s Garden Presbytarian Church – Red Cross St – moved to Renshaw St in 1811
  • 1729 – Five fields known as Rectors Fields (Moss Lake) purchased – adjoining Falkner St – by Ann Molyneux Charity
  • 1730 – 15 slave traders in Liverpool
  • 1730 – Height of trade with Spanish West Indies – much of it linen etc from Manchester
  • 1730 – Act of Parliament for the regulation of African Trade
  • 1732 – First workhouse built corner of College Lane/Hanover St (may have been here as early as 1723)
  • 1732 – River Weaver navigation – key in transport of salt from Cheshire
  • 1734 – St Georges Church built on castle site demolished 1897
  • 1734 – Salthouse Dock started but not completed until 1754
  • 1737 – Canning Dock (original Pool mouth’)- formed from the entrance to the Old Dock. It was mainly a graving dock, repairing damaged ships. Gates added 1829/30
  • 1737 – Tower becomes a prison (demolished 1819)
  • 1737 – Tower Buildings sold to Clayton family, who rent it to council for use a gaol
  • 1737 – Duke of Athol given freedom of the city
  • 1739 – John Okill builds first ship for Royal Navy – HMS Hastings
  • 1739 – Thomas Steers is Mayor
  • 1740 – First Jews in Liverpool
  • 1740 – Liverpool is now the chief slave trade port in Europe
  • 1740 – PlayHouse – first real theatre in Old Ropery by Thomas Steers
  • 1740 – The Strand laid out
  • 1740 – Williamson Sq laid out – named after shoemaker
  • 1743 – John Holts ‘Walton Academy’ for girls
  • 1744 – Liverpool has four privateer vessels recorded
  • 1745 – Liverpool Blues Regiment is raised – 1000 men – led by Colonel William Graham, due to fear of Bonnie Prince Charlie. Thomas Steers responsible for town fortifications
  • 1745 – Roman catholic chapel burned down by mob (linked to Jacobite Rebellion)
  • 1745 – Clayton Sq laid out by Sarah Clayton daughter of William Clayton MP and Mayor
  • 1746 – Rioting following the defeat of the Jacobite Rebellion
  • 1746 – Walton Hall purchased by John Atherton. Bought by Thomas Leyland 1802
  • 1746 – Sire added to the ancient tower of St Nicholas Church –
  • 1748 – RS Clare Ltd founded – still in existence  in Stanhope St
  • 1748 – A commission was formed, independent of the Town Council, for the watching, lighting, and cleansing of the town, the police force consisted of sixty night watchmen
  • 1748 – Dock Gatemen start to be employed in docks – operate dock gates and paddles
  • 1749 – Infirmary for the Sick (Shaws Brow, now W’m Brown St), moved 1824 – became Liverpool Royal Infirmary 1851…..(Brownlow Hill).
  • 1750 – Land reclamation means Novia Scotia is now being built upon
  • 1750 – Population approx. 20,000
  • 1750 – St Thomas’s Church, Park Lane built. It towered 258 feet above the world’s first wet dock. Joseph Williamson was laid to rest here in 1840 (see memorial garden on site). Demolished 1911
  • 1750 – Thomas Steers dies and is buried in the grounds of St Peter’s Church
  • 1750 – Wesleyan Methodist Chapel in Pitt Street – enlarged 1765, rebuilt 1803
  • 1750 – Charles Goore’s ship ‘Golden Lion’ was the only vessel operating out of the Old Dock involved in whaling industry
  • 1751 – 101 African Merchants operating in the ‘triangular trade’ – Liverpool – Africa – Jamaica
  • 1752 – George II Charter granted – increased power for Mayor, now also Justice of Peace
  • 1752 – Seamans Hospital next to Infirmary on Shaw’s Brow
  • 1753 – Everton Toffee Shop – Molly Bushell
  • 1753 – Synagogue Court – Upper Stanley Street, Cumberland Street
  • 1753 – 8th March – William Roscoe born at Bowling Green Inn – Mount Pleasant
  • 1753 – First Silk House in Silkhouse Lane off Tithebarn – Thomas Hopkins of London
  • 1754 – original BrookHouse Inn – Smithdown/Lidderdale Rd – Brookhoue Pub in 1878
  • 1754 – General Sir Banastre Tarleton, born 21 August 1754, 7 Water St – British soldier and politician
  • 1754 – Town Hall rebuilt (John Wood of Bath) – burns down in 1795 and restored by James Wyatt –
  • 1754 – Salthouse Dock completed (was South Dock) -started 1734)
  • 1754 – Wealthier inhabitants tended to move towards the hills surrounding the town
  • 1755 – William Hutchinson – was made a freeman of the city for his services to the improvement of the fishing industry
  • 1755 – Sankey Brook widened and course changed – pre-empting canals – To St Helens, transport of coal. Extended 1762, and 1830
  • 1756 – There are many potteries in Liverpool – Liverpool China Manufactory – Brownlow Hill
  • 1756 – 25th May – Williamson’s Liverpool Advertiser published in Castle St
  • 1757 – First recorded cotton auction in Liverpool
  • 1757 – A major hurricane hits Liverpool – 5 windmills blown down, 5 ships sunk, spire of St Stephens damaged
  • 1758 – St Domingo House built in Everton – George Campbell
  • 1758 – Liverpool – St Helens Canal: The Sankey
  • 1758 – A circulating library starts in Princes St – moves to North John St – Mr Everard – then to Lord St in 1787, and the Lyceum in 1802/03
  • 1758 – HMS Liverpool, a Coventry class frigate, launched
  • 1758 – Mr Parker c1758 advertises commercial well on Shaws Brow
  • 1758 – Phoenix/Fawcetts Foundry – George Perry – Lydia Ann Street – closes 1935 and moves to Bromborough
  • 1759 – William Hutchinson appointed Dock Master and Water Bailiff
  • 1759 – French fleet of privateers blockade Liverpool – 14 guns in St Nicholas cemetry
  • 1760 – Octagen Church – Temple Court – 1776 becomes St Catherines Anglican Church
  • 1760 – Church St paved
  • 1760 – Casartelli Building – corner of Hanover St – replica now in place (2007) – now The Hub/Posh Pads
  • 1760 – St Paul’s Square laid out – mansions around
  • 1760 – John Blackburne Mayor
  • 1760 – Breck Road (Lane) and Townsend Lane on maps as country land leading to Norris Green and Croxteth
  • 1760 – First direct thru-coach to London – from Golden Fleece in Dale St. Many pubs start appearing around Dale St
  • 1762 – A hurricane delays building of Georges Dock
  • 1762 – William Gregson – Mayor
  • 1763 – World’s first lighthouses to use parabolic mirrors – built by Liverpool Dock Master, Capt. William Hutchinson, at Hoylake and Bidston.
  • 1764 – Wykes Court – Dale St – John Wykes, watch maker               – later site of Liverpool Gas Light Company and later Magistrates etc
  • 1765 – South side of Wolstenstolme Sq built up
  • 1765 – Gore’s ‘Liverpool General Advertiser’ published
  • 1765 – John Eyes produces map of Liverpool
  • 1765 – First public baths at New Quay – brought by corporation in 1794
  • 1765 – Canning Graving Docks
  • 1766 – Now six potteries on Shaw’s brow – also Dale St, Haymarket, Duke St, Copperas Hill
  • 1766 – Gores Directory for Cleveland Square lists nine sea captains, six traders/merchants as well as artisans and professionals
  • 1766 – George Stubbs releases ‘The Anatomy of the Horse’
  • 1766 – Auction of 11 slaves takes place at Exchange Coffee House, Water St – 12th Sept – advert in Liverpool Advertiser
  • 1766 – First Act of Parliament for licensed ‘pilots’ on the Mersey, updated 1797
  • 1767 – St Johns Cemetery – eventually holds 27000 burials – cemetery full by 1854
  • 1767 – St James Mount laid out – Mount Gardens, first public gardens – now site of cathedral
  • 1767 – William Pownall Mayor – 12th March 1768 dies of a cold in office, buried at St Thomas’
  • 1767 – No. 62 Mount Pleasant – for merchant William Rice. Number 64 also listed – was Registry Office where John Lennon married in 1962
  • 1767 – Small tidal basin at future site of Herculaneum Dock – Charles Roes copper smelting works
  • 1767 – Building of Georges Dock continues, (enlarged 1810-1825) (filled in 1900 for 3 Graces)
  • 1768 – Bevington Bush has 4 windmills – area between Leeds St (Maidens Green)/Scotland Rd as is
  • 1768 – Richard Kent a merchant of the town, who was the first to build a house on the site – Kent St/Duke St corner – ‘for many years subsequently, it has extensive gardens and grounds attached reaching back to Pitt Street and including the site of St Michaels Church’
  • 1768 – Foundation stone for an Observatory laid, and built but never used, on land between Falkner St and Myrtle St
  • 1768 – Park Mill in existence – to west of junction between Park Lane and Jamaica St
  • 1769 – George Perry (with William Yates)produces his map of Liverpool – ‘The New and Accurate Plan of The Town and Port of Liverpool’
  • 1769 – Lark Hill House built – demolished 1962 – Larkhill Gardens and ‘the ducky’ still there
  • 1769 – There is a bowling green at top of Upper Duke St/Mornington Terrace
  • 1769 – St Paul’s Church – nr Old Hall St- demolished 1931
  • 1770 – Liverpool – Leeds Canal started (completed 1816) Original terminus Old Hall St/Earle St – extended 1790 Clarks Basin. Led to disappearance of Town Fields.
  • 1770 – Workhouse built on Brownlow Hill – ‘The House of Industry’ – 600 workmates, 3000 by 1842
  • 1770 – Three ships involved in whaling, increases to 21 by 1788
  • 1770 – Joshua Holt becomes the first Liverpool Cotton Broker
  • 1770 – Richard and George Holden start publishing reliable ‘tide charts’ for the Mersey
  • 1770 – Scotland Rd laid out as turnpike road to Preston via Walton
  • 1771 – Pier Head land mass now exists in present scale
  • 1771 – Plans for laying out Toxteth streets – ‘Harrington’- west of Parliament St to Northumberland St, extends beyond from 1820’s
  • 1771 – 3rd Feb – George Perry dies aged 52, buried in Ancient Chapel of Toxteth
  • 1772 – St Anne Richmond Church – Cazenau St/Rose Place (St Anne St as is). Moved to corner of Great Richmond St/St Anne Street 1871.
  • 1772 – Theatre Royal in Williamson Sq – rebuilt in 1853 – demolished 1965
  • 1772 – Charles Roe builds small copper works – on site later taken for Herculaneum Pottery works.
  • 1772 – Hackney Carriages start to appear
  • 1773 – Currently 27 mills in town
  • 1773 – Houses are numbered for the first time
  • 1773 – Liverpool Corporation buys rights to fees from all markets`
  • 1773 – Dukes Dock built – warehouses demolished 1964, partly filled in 1972. Grain w/house 1811, half-tide dock added (west side) by Hartley in 1843-45. In 1899 166 buildings noted around dock
  • 1774 – Dr Matthew Dobson, a physician practising in Harrington Street was the first to discover a link between sugar and diabetes
  • 1774 – Arthur and Bejamin Heywood – merchants build houses at 58 & 59 Hanover St east side between Seel St/Gradwell St. Became bankers – by 1786 had premises in 46 Castle St before moving to Brunswick St in 1800
  • 1774 – Liverpool Chamber of Commerce first formed
  • 1774 – St James Church, St James Place
  • 1774 – Mention of New Ferry – runs to South Ferry Basin Liverpool side – runs until 1922
  • 1775 – 1st Earl of Sefton, by Act of Parliament, granted building leases for ‘Harrington’ – Toxteth – builder Cuthbert Brisbrown
  • 1775 – The Tower became the property of the corporation when it purchased it for £1535 10s from the then owner Sir Richard Clayton
  • 1775 – First Greenland whaling ship built in Liverpool – Sutton’s yard
  • 1775 – Dr Thomas Houlston, working at Liverpool Infirmary, established the Liverpool Institution for Recovering Drowned Persons
  • 1775 – Unemployed sailors riot – 3000 take Town Hall
  • 1776 – Newington Chapel, Renshaw St/Cropper St, became German Evangelic Church in 1872-1931
  • 1776 – Worlds first Lifeboat Station at Formby Point
  • 1776 – Thomas Leyland (Leyland & Dillon) wins £20,000 in state lottery – sets up Leyland and Bullins Bank 1807
  • 1776 – Canal route now open all the way to Manchester
  • 1776 – Old Powder House on Brownlow Hill used to imprison French POW
  • 1777 – Molyneux now sells outright to Corporation for £2250 – inc burgess rents and ferry dues
  • 1777 – Trent-Mersey canal link serving Potteries completed
  • 1777 – Thomas Staniforth builds large mansion on Ranelagh St – became William Lynn’s Waterloo Hotel – then site of Central Station. William Lynn donated Waterloo Cup – forerunner of Grand National in 1836
  • 1778 – Liverpool’s greatest period of activity in privateering
  • 1778 – The 79th Regiment of Foot (Royal Liverpool Volunteers) infantry regiment formed
  • 1778 – First Dispensary in North John St moved to Church St in 1782, and then to Vauxhall Rd in 1829
  • 1778 – Mr William Pole – Mayor
  • 1778 – Sarah Clayton goes bankrupt
  • 1778 – Peter Baker captures the Carnatic with his privateering ship ‘Mentor’
  • 1779 – Liverpool Medical Library founded – 7th Oct – became Liverpool Medical Institution 1835-37
  • 1779 – Messrs Tate, Alexander and Wilson take out lease enclosing a portion of the Strand at the mouth of the Otterspool. There they erected a Snuff Mill
  • 1779 – Mosseley Hill Hall – Carnatic Hall
  • 1780 – Fontenoy St, Johnson St, Trumen St laid out
  • 1780 – Higsons (William Harvey) first brewery in 64 Dale St. 1865 acquired by Daniel Higson
  • 1780 – Baltic Fleet Pub – Wapping
  • 1780 – Dr James Currie moves to Liverpool – lived in Church St. Helped to found numerous civic institutions including the Liverpool Athenaeum and the Liverpool Botanic Garden
  • 1781 – Mersey Bowmen Society – Cazeneau St – Liverpools oldest surviving sports club (now tennis club) – moves to Sefton Park in 1887
  • 1782 – Liverpool Dispensary corner of Church St/Church Alley. Funded by a number of slave traders, including the Heywoods
  • 1782 – The 50-gun HMS Grampus was launched at John Fisher’s shipyard
  • 1783 – Mariner’s Lodge formed 1st March – used to meet at Shakespeare Tavern Sir Thomas Buildings
  • 1783 – St Johns Church, in front of St Georges Hall
  • 1783 – Rodney St laid out – first was no 35 and leased by banker William Roscoe. Ex-residents/born here: Brian Epstein; William Gladstone; Dr William Henry Duncan;
  • 1784 – Sunday schools start
  • 1784 – The oil-stone dealer John Mann dies, after whom Mann Island is named
  • 1784 – Liverpool’s music festival becomes a triennial event
  • 1785 – The “Bates Hotel” at the junction of Lord Street with Whitechapel contained a coffee room and newsroom
  • 1785 – Mail coach to London starts
  • 1785 – Building on Bold St. Great George St being built on
  • 1785 – Manchester Dock – (under Museum/Great Western Railway building).
  • 1785 – Richmond Fair – woollens – Fox St                erected by Thomas and William Dobb
  • 1785 – Robert Roberts Brewery – Cunliffe St
  • 1785/88 – Kings Dock opens – first vessel to enter was ‘The Three Sisters’
  • 1786 – Act Of Parliament allow wells to be dropped in Berry St, Copperas Hill, and Hotham St
  • 1786 – Improvement Act’ – street widening, inc Castle St, slums west of Castle St demolished, Castle Hill cut by Castle St widening. Heywood builds his first bank on Castle St – moves 1800
  • 1786 – Music Hall in Bold St – Charles Eyes
  • 1786 – Dr James Currie became physician to the Liverpool Infirmary
  • 1786 – Corporation clears site, (just west of town hall) for Exchange Alley – office development for rent to brokers
  • 1786 – Great Howard Street houses the first purpose built prison – known as the French Prison
  • 1787 – John Gladstone commissions 62 Rodney St
  • 1787 – Lock-up/’Stone Jug’ on Shaw St Everton (‘St Ruperts Tower’ etc)
  • 1787 – First Welsh Chapel built in Pall Mall – ‘little Wales’
  • 1787 – Society for the Abolition of the Slave Trade formed
  • 1787 – Mount Pleasant Wesleyan Methodist Church
  • 1787/93 First purpose built brewery – James Blair in Dale St
  • 1788 – Two executions at bottom of Water St – 31st May – Patrick Burns, Sylvester Dowling
  • 1788 – St Peters R.C. Seel St built. Closed 1978, became Alma-De-Cuba in 2005
  • 1788 – Almshouses Cambridge St/Arrad St
  • 1788 – Improvements made to Manchester Dock – John Foster snr
  • 1788 – Height of Liverpool Whaling industry, approx 21 ships
  • 1788 – Rathbone family aquire Greenbank House – later to become Greenbank Park
  • 1788 – Blackburne House – Catharine St – built as private house by John Blackburne (later Mayor), then first girls school in 1844 by George Holt
  • 1788 – Five delegates sent to represent the interests of Liverpool before a Committee of the Privy Council, defending the slave trade – including James Penny
  • 1788 – No. 68 Mount Pleasant – for future Mayor George Dunbar
  • 1789 – Byrom St Chapel, 1861 becomes Byrom Hall
  • 1789 – Day schools start – Old Church School in Moorfields (1789), the Unitarian Schools in Mount Pleasant (1790) and Manesty Lane (1792), and the Wesleyan Brunswick School (1790)
  • 1789 – John Foster Snr appointed by Council as ‘town planner’
  • 1789 – Liverpool Marine Society founded by William Hutchinson for the benefit of masters of vessels, widows and children
  • 1789 – John Blackburne dies and is buried at St Thomas’ – 23rd Aug aged 67
  • 1789 – Thomas Smyth – Mayor – merchant and banker
  • 1790 – Islington’ is known as Folly Lane ref Gibson’s Folly – site of fairs
  • 1790 – Brunswick St laid out
  • 1790 – Seel St laid out as a route from city to Berry St
  • 1790 – Hope St laid out – houses around 1800
  • 1790 – Gibraltar Row – Gibraltar St – Denison St laid out – area had previously been semi-rural – bowling greens
  • 1790/92 – Clarks Basin – Old Hall St – end of Liverpool Leeds Canal. Ladies Walk purchased, basin extended to Bath St. 5 new coal wharfs at Dutton St. – Closed 1886
  • 1790 – Lime St set out (Lime Kiln originally)
  • 1790 – Frst Doctor on Rodney St – was Ambrose Dawson, M.D. who lived at No.35
  • 1790 – Peter Litherland watchmaker and inventor – 1791 he patented the rack lever escapement for watches. Had shop on site of Lewis’s Renshaw St
  • 1790 – United States Consulate , James Maury – first in world – became American Eagle Pub – see eagle bottom of Paradise St
  • 1790 – Home of John Houghton, brewer, in Trueman St. Best surviving house of the Georgian period in Liverpool
  • 1791 – Leigh Bridge, Athol St (canal)
  • 1791 – Thomas Staniforth goes into partnership with Jonas Bold, Francis Ingram and Joseph Daltera to establish banking business
  • 1791 – Quaker Meeting House and cemetery – Hunter Street, moved from Quakers Alley
  • 1791 – Unitarian Chapel – Paradise St (end of School Lane) – became Royal Colosseum Theatre 1850
  • 1791 – School for The Blind – Commutation Row – Edward Rushton – moves to London Road in 1800
  • 1792 – Fish Market – top of James St for 30 years, then became general market (1826)
  • 1792 – The manorial rights of Garston had been purchased by John Blackburne
  • 1792 – Manesty Lane School (off Hanover St) – closed 1930’s
  • 1792 – Holy Trinity Church – east side of St Annes St/corner Springfield
  • 1792 – Catholic school Copperas Hill opens
  • 1792 – St Stephens Church – Byrom St (moves to nearby site 1870)
  • 1792 – Lunatic Asylum – Shaws Brow
  • 1793 – Oldham Street Scotch Presbyterian Church
  • 1793 – Liverpool becomes the first and only municipality with the right to issue its own money
  • 1793 – Herculaneum Pottery in Toxteth (warehouse in Duke St)
  • 1793 – Gt Howard St Gaol houses 4000 French prisoners although not yet fully built
  • 1793 – Two troops raised – yeomanry cavalry, and battery of artillery. Also 2 regiments of volunteers – Royal Liverpool Blues, and Royal Liverpool Volunteers
  • 1793 – Felicia Hemans born at 118 Duke St – 25th Sept
  • 1793 – 20th March – privateer ship Pelican sinks in Mersey
  • 1793 – Goree Piazzas built – rebuilt 1810 after 1802 after fire, destroyed in The Blitz. Originally 17 warehouses, 13 storeys high – 1810 rebuilt in brick 6 storeys high
  • 1794 – Porters Brewery was built in the town just beyond Byrom Street at the beginning of Scotland Road, this became the site of Scotland Place by the 1830s.
  • 1794 – Borough council purchase privately owned baths in Bath St – demolished 1817 for Princes Dock
  • 1794 – 2nd Feb ancient mill at bottom of Copperas Hill blown down in storm
  • 1794 – Holy Trinity Church – Wavertree
  • 1794 – Brooke and Owen’s brewery in Blair Street, Toxteth – dismantled in 1826 and the area covered with further terraces and courts
  • 1795 – Chester and Ellesmere Basin – used for coastal trade
  • 1795 – Liverpool overtakes London as the leading British cotton importer
  • 1795 – First of Kings Dock tobacco warehouses built – extended 1811
  • 1796 – William Roscoe published The Life of Lorenzo de’ Medici. A best-seller in its day
  • 1795 – Fire at Town Hall – interior restoration not complete until1820
  • 1796 – Wavertree Lock-Up
  • 1796 – Ladies Charity Hospital – 13 School Lane
  • 1796 – Queens Dock built, enlarged 1816, and 1865
  • 1797 – Water Pump at Pumpfields – Vauxhall – became Bootle Water Works – later site of electric works
  • 1797 – Coat of Arms granted – Triton and Neptune with cormorant/liverbird – “God has bestowed these blessings on us”
  • 1797 – John Aspinall & Sons open a Grocery and Tea Warehouse at 16 Derby Sq/Castle St
  • 1797 – Cazneau St – a merchant called Joseph Cazneau builds his house here
  • 1798 – John Walmsley (builder) premises west side of Berry St – still there – was u-shaped (now filled in)
  • 1798 – There is a Welsh Calvinist school in Pall Mall
  • 1798 – Boodle & Dunthorne jewellers opened – moves to Lord St in 1910
  • 1798 – Thomas Leyland was elected Mayor of Liverpool for the first of his three times (a key slave trader)
  • 1799 – Over 4000 French prisoners are held in Great Howard St Gaol
  • 1799 – Christs Church – Hunter St. Closed 1920
  • 1799 – Two water companies formed- Bootle Water Company, and Liverpool & Harrington (corner of Lodge Lane and Beaumont Street) both supplying Liverpool. LHWC had wells at Bevington Bush – Copperas Hill – Windsor St – Soho – Toxteth Park
  • 1799 – Edward George Geoffrey Smith-Stanley, 14th Earl of Derby born at Knowsley Hall – 3 times Prime Minister
  • 1799 – Clarkes & Roscoe Bank formed Castle St (previously Clarkes) goes bust in 1815-16
  • 1799 – Mayor – Pudsey Dawson. At one time lived at 35 Roscoe St
  • 1799 – Thomas Parrs House and warehouse in Colquitt St – still present –  portico added 1814 designed by Edmund Aitken
  • 1799 – Athenaeum in 40 Church St (opposite Parker St). On 1st January 1799, the building had advanced to the point that the newsroom could open. Library opened on 1st May 1800
  • 1799 – John Foster Snr becomes Docks Surveyor

top

13th-to-16th-Century

17thCentury

19thCentury

20thCentury

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s