20th Century

Liverpool timeline snippets you just need to know!

  • 1900 – West Derby Union Building – West Derby Rd
  • 1900 – The first 20th century execution at Walton took place two days after Christmas, on the 27th of December 1900, when James Billington led 28 year old James Bergin to the gallows
  • 1900 – Colemans Fireproof Depository Park Road
  • 1900 – Saturday July 21 Swimming Pool opened At the Seaman’s Orphanage Newsham Park
  • 1900 – MDHB purchase Dukes Dock
  • 1900 – 3 Rachel St off Scottie Rd – still there, derelict
  • 1900 – MDHB purchase 340acres of land from Lord Sefton north of Hornby Dock – eventually lands used for Gladstone Dock
  • c1900 – Diocesan Church House – South John St
  • 1900 – Bevington Bush Hotel (Arden House) – rooms for 500 lodgings if sober! One penny a night – demolished 1986
  • 1900 – Liverpool Scottish Regiment formed – re-designated in 1908 on the establishment of the Territorial Force as the 10th (Scottish) Battalion, The King’s (Liverpool Regiment)
  • 1900 – The Liverpool Queen Victoria District Nursing Association Building – Princes Rd
  • 1900 – 28 February 1900. The four month siege of Ladysmith ended when British troops broke through Boer defences at Spion Kop
  • 1900 – old burials removed from site of St Georges – to Everton Cemetery
  • 1900 – 29th Oct – Charlie Chaplin enrolled at SFX Elementary School
  • 1900 – Parr’s Bank (now Nat West) Building – Castle St – still there – a fine example of an early steel frame with cantilevered framing over the banking hall
  • c1900 – King’s Pipe – Stanley Dock
  • 1900 – Borough pub – Great Crosshall St – building still there
  • 1900 – Liverpool Welsh Choral Union founded
  • 1900 – Lister Drive Power Station between Tuebrook/Old Swan
  • 1900/02 – Toxteth Branch Library – Windsor St – Thomas Shelmerdine
  • 1901 – William Watson founds W Watson & Co, cycle and motor car manufacturers. The company moved to larger premises at 56-58 Renshaw Street, in 1907. Also 65 – 67 Bold St (now Leaf) in 1935 – art deco frontage added.
  • 1901 – Garston incorporated into Liverpool
  • 1901 – Elgar’s Pomp and Circumstance March No.1, dedicated by the composer to the Liverpool Orchestral Society and had its premiere in the city in October 1901.
  • 1901 – The Jubilee Congress of District Nursing was held at the Methodist Central Hall in Renshaw Street
  • 1901/06 – College of Technology and Museum Extension over – (now World Museum – 2005). Liversley Place demolished inc Angel Inn, Leicester Hotel
  • 1901 – Population 685,000
  • 1901 – On Monday 17th June, at a meeting in the Town Hall, the decision was taken to build a worthy Cathedral for the city
  • 1901 – Tom Watson managed the Reds to their first ever title in 1901
  • 1901 – MDHB agree sale of Georges Dock estate to the City Council, and agree to then build ‘Port Of Liverpool’ building. Robert Gladstone chairs special committee for dock board.
  • 1901 – The Great Synagogue, Russell Street, which opened in a former Methodist Chapel
  • 1901 – Stanley Dock Tobacco Warehouse opened – largest brick building in the world, 27million bricks!!   Dock partly filled in to accommodate – A.G. Lyster
  • 1901 – Gwladys St School – Walton
  • 1901 – Century Buildings – Victoria St, corner of St John St – by Henry Hartley
  • 1901 – Fire at Dingle LOR Station kills 6
  • 1901 – St Lukes Church – Goodison Rd
  • 1901 – Green Lane tram depot opened
  • 1901 – 81 – 89 Lord St Arcade – Walter Aubrey Thomas.
  • 1901 –  ‘The Great Liverpool Bank Fraud’ – Thomas Peterson Goudie
  • 1901/06 – Queens Dock re-developed – Dock No1, 1901 – Dock No2, 1905 – Graving Dock, 1906
  • 1902 – Renamed and rebuilt David Lewis Northern Hospital – Leeds/Great Howard St
  • 1902 – Fazakerley City Hospital opened (Sparrow Hall Hosp also on site – closed 1951)
  • 1902 – Britain’s first motor fire engine (at Hatton Garden Fire Station).
  • 1902 – Sir Ronald Ross of Southern Hospital receives Nobel prize for identifying malaria was carried by mosquitoes – lecturer at Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine
  • 1902 – Woods Building, Fleet St.
  • 1902 – Council takes ownership of Calderstone Mansion House and grounds for £43,000
  • 1902 – Aviary opened in Newsham Park. Dismantled 1930s and birds relocated to Sefton Park
  • 1902 – Presbyterian Church of Wales, Sprinfield Rd, Klondyke, Orrell
  • 1902 – Old Hall St lowered – old canal bridge removed
  • 1902 – The Royal Hippodrome Theatre (West Derby Rd) opened and was a stage theatre until 1931 seating 4,000 people. From 1931-1967 it was a cinema; demolished in 1980. The building began life as a 4,000-seat circus, operated by Charles Hengler, it opened as Hengler’s Grand Cirque on 13th November 1876
  • 1902 – Produce Exchange Building – 6A-8 Victoria St – built as goods depot for Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway
  • 1902/03 – Adlington St Dwellings – 272 units
  • 1903 – Hornby St Dwellings – 23 blocks of 445 dwellings, accommodating 2,476
  • 1903 – Queens Drive construction starts (north of Walton, ), completed 1927 – John Brodie – Liverpool’s first ring road
  • 1903 – Royal charter for independent University of Liverpool
  • 1903 – Dock Improvement Act includes: additional graving dock at Herculaneum; graving dock at Brocklebank; Canada Branch Dock No. 3
  • 1903 – Train crash – 15th July – 6 killed at Waterloo Station – Liverpool/Southport line
  • 1903 – 2nd June – first double hanging at Walton – German-born Gustav Rau and Dutchman Willem Schmidt were found guilty of killing their captain.
  • 1903 – Edge Lane Strowger Works ATE, eventually GEC Plessey. 14000 staff at peak
  • 1903 – Small pox epidemic, over 1000 cases in Liverpool
  • 1903 – Highfield Infirmary/Sanatorium Old Swan (originally for epileptics)- later becomes Broadgreen Hospital
  • 1903/04 – King Edward St cut. Clarkes Basin and coal wharfs disappear
  • 1903 – Royal Insurance Building – North John St – dome 110ft. It is the earliest steel framed commercial building in Britain. 1895-90. (Officially opened 1903 after three years of partial occupation.
  • 1903/04 – Wesleyan Methodist Church and a Free Methodist Church – Wellington St off Smithdown Rd.
  • 1903 – Mersey rail converts first trains to electric – saves the railway tunnel from bankruptcy
  • 1903 – Marks & Spencer Lime St
  • 1903 – SS Daniel Adamson – one of famous Mersey tug tender fleet
  • 1903/04 – Statue of Sir Arthur Bower Forewood – St Johns Gardens
  • 1903/04 – The Consumption Hospital – 70 Mount Pleasant (corner of Rodney St). In 70’s was Ethel Wormald College of Education
  • 1903/05 – 14 Dale St – State Insurance Co. – was originally symetrical – part dem c1962. Housed various clubs inc. ‘The State’
  • 1904 – St Johns Gardens opened to public
  • 1904 –  Tillotsons Printing and Cardboard factory on Commercial Rd – extended 1934 – site had originally been Derby coal yard
  • by1904 – all Pilotage boats now steam
  • 1904 – 8th Scottish Volunteer Regiment – move into Drill Hall at 7 Fraser St – until 1967 – becomes Mr Pickwicks/Heaven Club – now car park
  • 1904 – Victorian legend Spring-heeled Jack reportedly seen in Everton
  • 1904 – 31st of May – William Kirwan and Ping Lun executed at Walton – side by side for two unrelated shooting murders
  • 1904 – 22nd March – the Liverpool to Southport main line became the first British main line railway to be electrified using an outside third rail carrying 600 volts DC.
  • 1904 – 19-33 Leece St built – was offices then Argyles car showroom, then Labour Exchange. Demolished 1995
  • 1904 – Mersey Division RNVR was established in Customs House, moving to HMS EAGLE, a 74 gun frigate at Brunswick Dock, in 1911
  • 1904 – Broadgreen Jewish Cemetry – Thomas drive
  • 1904 – Fazakerley incorporated into Liverpool
  • 1904 – Houdini appears at The Empire on 2nd Feb
  • 1904 – Chatham Hotel Overbury St
  • 1904 – George Holt Physics Laboratory – Liverpool University
  • 1904 – maiden voyage of RMS Baltic – Liverpool to New York
  • 1904 – Foundation stoned laid for Anglican Cathedral by Edward VII
  • 1905 – Runcorn Transporter Bridge – moved vehicles and people from one side of the river to the other by using a large transporter car which was pulled by cable.(closed 1961)
  • 1905 – Twenty people killed in train accident Liverpool-Southport line, Hall Road Station Bootle/Formby
  • 1905 – Liverpool is the major UK port by tonnage,
  • 1905 – Liverpool Olympia – Locarno – West Derby Rd (next to Grafton) – still there – across road from the more successful Royal Hippodrome (1902 -demolished 1984)
  • 1905 – Central Hall, Renshaw St – was site of Unitarian chapel – for Methodist Mission
  • 1905 – Roscoe Memorial Garden.The Renshaw Street Unitarian chapel monuments are now in the cloister at Ullet Road Chapel – also mentions Joseph Blanco White
  • 1905 – Eldon St concrete prefab housing. Demolished 1964
  • 1905 – 24 Hatton Garden built – was Tram office, became MerseyTravel HQ, 2012/13 became apartments
  • 1905 – Sun Hall – Kensington – opened by Heber Radcliffe
  • 1905 – Porter Bros Ltd flag makers established, Tabley St, now site of Hampton by Hilton Hotel (Porters moved to Birkenhead 2009)
  • 1905 – Brunswick Dock River Entrances completed
  • 1905 – St Thomas’s finally closed 31st Dec
  • 1905 – Lister Drive Baths                                                closed 1988
  • 1905 – Lister Drive Library – funded by Andrew Carnegie
  • 1906 – The Kop built – later named Spion Kop by local writer Ernest Edwards – capacity 60,000. ‘Great Eastern’ flag-pole erected
  • 1906 – Liverpool win the League Championship and Everton win the F.A. Cup
  • 1906 – Liverpool ‘the king of big vessels’ – number of her vessels is only two-thirds of that of London, but their total tonnage is one-third greater;  that is to say, the average Liverpool ship is twice as big as the average London ship. Of 271 British vessels which in 1906 measured over 4,000 tons, no less than 146 belonged to Liverpool
  • 1906 – Kings Dock remodelled into one body of water
  • 1906 – Hornby Library extension to rear of Picton Reading Rooms, donation of a wealthy Liverpool merchant, Hugh Frederick Hornby
  • 1906 – Bluecoat School moves to Wavertree – becomes Bluecoat Chambers
  • 1906 – Granary built at Coburg Dock, another one added in 1932
  • 1906 – Cotton Exchange – Old Hall St – front demolished in 1967, rest survives – pavement has statue representing the Mersey (from top of original front). Opened 30th Nov by Prince and Princess of Wales
  • 1906 – Queen Victoria Monument – Derby Sq (former castle site and St Georges Church site)
  • 1906 – Iris and Daffodil come into service
  • 1906 – Walton, Queens Drive – ‘The Vets House’ – opposite site for Queens Drive Baths (1909) – demolished 1960s for Rice Lane flyover
  • 1906 – Kirkdale Branch Library – Brook St – destroyed in The Blitz
  • 1906 – David Lewis Theatre & Hostel – Gt George St – (demolished 1977-80) – on site of St James market
  • 1907 – The Liverpool Pageant to celebrate the city’s 700th birthday!
  • 1907 – ‘City Beautiful Conference’
  • 1907 – Frank Hornby – Meccano – Duke St, 1914 moved to Binns Rd Factory (closed 1979)
  • 1907 – The Vines rebuilt – Walter Thomas architect
  • 1907 – Orleans House – Edmund St – office block – site of John Newtons home – wrote ‘Amazing Grace’
  • 1907 – Colonial Products Exhibition – St Georges Hall
  • 1907 – Port of Liverpool Building’ – Mersey Docks and Harbour Board building – 1st of Three Graces – Briggs, Wolstenholme and Thorneley
  • 1907 – Maiden voyage of RMS Mauretania from Liverpool on 16th November 1907. Scrapped 1934
  • 1907 – There are now some 69 Cocoa Rooms across city
  • 1907 – Myrtle St Childrens Hopital (replaced 1866 building). Demolished  1998-99 for Liverpool Community College Art Centre
  • 1907 – old Tower Buildings demolished
  • 1907 – Galkoff’s Butchers – Pembroke Place – 1930 frontage still there
  • 1907 – Death of Robert Cain – 19th July – By now Cain’s own some 200 Liverpool pubs
  • 1908 – Liverpool Invalid Childrens Association (became The Child Welfare Assoc) Seel St – forerunner of Personal Service Society Liverpool – still in Seel St
  • 1908 – Noel and Christopher Chavasse represents GB at the 1908 Olympic games 400m heats
  • 1908 – The total water area of the docks (excluding those on the Cheshire side of the river) now amounts to 418 acres 320 yards and the lineal quayage to 26 miles 1,083 yards. The continuous dock-wall fronts the river for a distance of 7¼ miles.
  • 1908 – Bedford Hall Cinema, Walton – Liverpool’s first purpose built cinema
  • 1908 – foundation stone laid for Royal Liver Building – 11th May – Lord Stanley
  • 1908 – Blacklers Dept store – now Wetherspoons by St Johns market
  • c1908 – City Buildings – Old Hall St/Fazakerley St – cotton traders – originally 1850 as a sugar house – new glazed frontage in 1908
  • 1908 – Murder of Margaret Kirby aged 7, Edge Lane
  • 1908 – new sand pump dredger launched – ‘Leviathan’ – built by Cammell Laird, 10,000tons
  • c1908 – New Tower Buildings completed, Water St – Walter Aubrey Thomas
  • 1909 – First British branch of Woolworths opens in 25 Church St – rebuilt 1923 – also at 8 Williamson St 1934 –  Tatler News Theatre was upstairs, Millets was down stairs
  • 1909 – Riots between Protestants and Catholics – start in Juvenal Street
  • 1909 – Sefton Park Picture Drome – Smithdown Rd – former stables – still there
  • 1909 – Queens Drive Baths opened
  • 1909 – Obelisk to Samuel Smith – Sefton Park, trader/politian/philanthropist/NSPCC
  • 1909 – Brunswick Dock rebuilt extended south with river lock
  • 1909 – The first meeting of The Liverpool Association of Medical Women was held at 45a Rodney Street, chaired by Liverpool physician Frances Ivens.
  • 1909 – Mersey ‘training banks’ built to manage silting and erosion
  • 1909 – Eleanor Rathbone – the first woman to be elected to Liverpool City Council and over the next few years argued for improved housing in the city
  • 1909 – William Lever rents, then buys Bluecoat Chambers building
  • 1910 – St Marys of Angels Church – Fox St Everton off Richmond Row
  • 1910 – Johnsons Bootle Dye Works – Mildmay Rd. Closed 2003 – building still part there
  • 1910 – Oct 29th Robin Hood Stone excavated
  • 1910 – First female doctor to graduate from Liverpool was Phoebe Powell
  • 1910 – Nicholas John Turney Monsarrat born 22nd March, 11 Rodney St – author of The Cruel Sea
  • 1910 – Picturedrome – Kensington. Became Wetherspoons – closed 2013
  • 1910 – J. Blake & Co. Ltd. became Merseyside’s first Ford dealer
  • 1910 – The Dental School and Hospital on Pembroke Place
  • 1910 – School of Art Hope St – a new extension with a main entrance in Hope Street was completed
  • 1910/13 – Guild of Students – Mount Pleasant – Charles Reilly
  • 1911 – 28th Oct – Province of Liverpool created by catholic church – first Archbishop – Thomas Whiteside
  • 1911 – 19th July – Royal Liver Building – 2nd of Three Graces – one of the worlds first re-enforced concrete buildings – The Clock (Great George) faces on the Liver Building are the biggest in the country. Clocks started at moment of King George V’s coronation on June 22nd (made by Gent & Co Leicester)
  • 1911 – Robert Noonan (Tressell) dies in Liverpool – Ragged Trousered Philanthropists’ – died at Liverpool Royal Infirmary on 3rd Feb
  • 1911 – Summer Seat terrace cottages built
  • 1911 – 7th July – Henry G Melly makes first non-stop flight from Liverpool to Manchester
  • 1911 – Memorial (1863) of officers and men of The 8th, The King’s, Liverpool Regiment of Foot, who lost their lives between 1857-58 suppressing the Great Sepoy Mutiny – Whitley Gardens Shaw St (relocated from Portsmouth)
  • 1911 – General Transport Strike – centred on Liverpool – 72 days. Tom Mann addresses rally at St Georges Plateau on 13th Aug – 90 arrests
  • 1911 – MDHB increase Rates and Dues for all vessels by 10%
  • 1911 – Metropole Theatre – 312 Stanley Rd – destroyed in Blitz
  • 1911 – Bibby’s Oil Mill Explosion – 39 men killed – 24th November
  • 1911 – First Liverpool boxing stadium – Pudsey St – demolished 1930 – (between London Rd/Lord Nelson St) It had been a roller skating rink
  • 1911 – 23 Nov Walton Library opens – still there
  • 1911 – The Automatic Telephone Manufacturing Company Ltd of Milton Road, Edge Lane.
  • 1911/12 – Liverpool imported a staggering 5,230,399 bales of cotton
  • 1912 – Worlds first automatic telephone exchange
  • 1912/15 – Wavertree Garden Suburb – off Thingwall Rd – privately built
  • 1912 – Eldon Grove Labourers’ (workers) Dwellings
  • 1912 – Sayers the Bakers founded, Prescott Rd Old Swan, later on County Road.
  • 1912 – New St Paul’s Eye Hospital on Old Hall St. Redeveloped 1929 – Herbert J Rowse
  • 1912/14 – Higsons Brewery move to the Windsor Brewery at Upper Parliament St – renamed it the Cheapside Brewery
  • 1912 – Dr Noel Chavasse takes placement at the Royal Southern Hospital
  • 1912 – Futurist Cinema – Lime St – first purpose cinema in city centre – closed July 1982 – frontage still there
  • 1912 – July – Dock Labour Clearing House Scheme established
  • 1912 – King’s Hall Cine Variety Theatre – Oakfield Road – rebuilt 1931 as Gaumont – now Liverpool Lighthouse
  • 1912 – Everton Palace Cinema – Heyworth St. Closed 1960?
  • 1912 – TJ Hughes founded – merged with Owen Owen 1925
  • 1912 – 15th April – Titanic sinks
  • 1912/14 – Premier Buildings – corner of Church St/Hanover St – now LTSB (was Boots)
  • 1912/18 – Bon Marche – corner of Basnett St/Church St – upper floors added 1923 – still there as TK-Max
  • 1911/14 – Aldelphi rebuilt – first opened 1826
  • 1911/15 – Alder Hey Hospital – ‘Children’s’ added to name in 1951
  • 1913/27 – Gladstone Dock opened by King George V and Queen Mary on 11th July. – Graving Dock opened (now No3 wet dock)
  • 1913 – The world’s first crossword puzzle was compiled by Liverpool born Arthur Wynne and appeared in the New York World.
  • 1913 – Florence Nightingale Memorial – boundary wall of Queen Vic Nursing Assoc Building, Princes Rd – C.J.Allen
  • c1913 – Klondyke Estate built – Bootle – There were originally 500 houses on this estate and it was built by William Klondyke Jones
  • 1913 – Memorial to Sir Alfred Lewis Jones, Pier Head – George Frampton
  • 1913 – Walton Vale (Aintree) Picture House – Warbreckmoor
  • 1913 – Friday 27th September SS Hare sails to Dublin with food aid for strikers in Dublin Lock-out
  • 1913 – Pilotage Act
  • 1913 – 5th July Edith Rayner placed a bomb at the Liverpool Cotton Exchange – it did not detonate
  • 1913 – White, Tompkins & Courage Grain Silo – Great Howard St
  • 1913 – Harland & Wolff Shipbuilding and Engineering Works – Regent Rd
  • 1913 – Double murder and suicide – 7th Oct – William McDonald shoots Paul Gaze and Mary Crompton – Bedford St South and Grove St
  • 1913 – 2nd Sept – The great Bill Shankly is  born
  • 1913 – Edge Lane Hall demolished (for exhibition below)
  • 1913 – Liverpool Exhibition – Edge Lane
  • 1913 – Cranes Music Hall/shop – Hanover St – now Epsteins Theatre. The theatre was built originally opened as a concert hall called the Crane Hall
  • 1913/14 – Holyoake Hall – Smithdown Rd – built for Co-op. Beatles played here twice in 1961 – still there
  • by1914  –  24 catholic parishes in Liverpool, 16 clustered around Scotland/Vauxhall Roads and Everton – Great Homer St the ‘boundary’ between catholic/protestants
  • 1914 – Lord Derby initiates countries first PALS battalions for World war One
  • 1914 – Eleanor Rathbone organized the Town Hall Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Families Organization to support wives and dependants of soldiers
  • 1914 – The Atlas Cinema – Rice Lane Picture House
  • 1914 – New Meccano factory in Binns Road – Frank Hornby
  • 1914 – Robert Gladstone Riot Shield invented
  • 1914 – The Cunard liner, ‘Aquitania’, is in Gladstone graving dock when World War I breaks out. She has been damaged off the coast of Ireland July 1914, and is converted into a trooper carrier while at Gladstone
  • 1914 – The Belmont Road Picture House was opened on 17th January 1914
  • 1914 – School of Hygiene and City Laboratories – 126 Mount Pleasant
  • 1914 – Liverpool Exhibition of Housing and Town Planning – 9th – 13th March – Liberty Buildings (Bluecoat)
  • 1914 – 29th May – Empress of Ireland sinks in St Lawrence river – 1,012 die including 172 mainly Liverpool crew
  • 1914 – Cunards Aquitania makes maiden voyage from Liverpool on 30th May
  • 1914 – death of Annie Garvey – ‘The Pier Head Squatter’
  • 1914 – Tunnel Road Picturedrome – Tunnel Rd, Edge Hill
  • 1914 – Oak Room added to Picton Library
  • 1915 – The Aintree LNC National Filling Factory began production in July of 1915 filling and assembling 8 inch shells
  • 1915 – 7th May Lusitania sunk by German torpedo off Ireland 1200 dead – leads to riots
  • 1915 – Lord Kitchener inspects Liverpool PALS at St Georges – 20th March
  • c1915 – Gaiety Cinema – Edgar St/Scotland Rd – demolished 1960’s – Chiappe’s chip shop next door, also Milton pub
  • 1915 – Football Betting Scandal – Man Utd v Liverpool
  • 1915 – South Extension to South Warehouse Stanley Dock
  • 1915 – The Smithdown Picture Playhouse was opened on 22nd February 1915
  • 1915 – Liverpool Co-operative Society, Ltd. was formed by the amalgamation of the City of Liverpool Equitable Cooperative Society, established in 1886, and the Toxteth Cooperative Provident Society, Ltd., established 1891.
  • 1915 – St Gerard Catholic Church and parish – Cranmer St/Boundary Lane
  • 1915/16 – Electric lighting is installed throughout the Albert Dock
  • 1916 – Cunard Building – 3rd of Three Graces opens
  • 1916 – Memorial to the Engine Room Heroes of the Titanic – St Nicholas Place, Pier head – Sir William Goscombe John
  • 1916 – Mere Lane Picture House                opens 4th Nov
  • 1916/18 – Grand National held at Gatwick as Aintree taken over by The War Office
  • 1917 – Bibby’s Warehouse completed. Demolished 1988
  • 1917 – 4th Aug: Death from wounds of Captain Noel Chavasse VC, son of the Bishop of Liverpool is announced
  • 1917 – Liverpool Pilot Boat the Alfred H Read was sunk in the River Mersey on the 28th December with the loss of 39 civilian lives.
  • 1917 – May – King George V and Queen Mary visit Birkenhead and Liverpool
  • 1917 – General Pershing landed at Liverpool with his US armies (America entered war in April)
  • c1918 – Knotty Ash camp for returning American soldiers. Council then used for accommodation for 488 families, a total of 2,000 people. Some used until 1933
  • 1918 – Liverpool 1918 Club formed – still meets in the Adelphi
  • 1918 – Iris and Daffodil take part in Zeebrugge landings
  • 1914/18 – over 13,000 Liverpool men killed during war
  • 1918 – 720,000 American troops pass thru Liverpool – camps at Knotty Ash
  • 1919 – Liverpool Police Strike, and Race Riots
  • 1919 – MDHB purchase Dingle Bank – becomes site of oil jetties/installation
  • 1919 – Liverpool Association for Personal Service (then Personal Services Committee). In 1917 three local social welfare organisations – the Liverpool Town Hall Soldiers and Sailors Families Association, and the Victoria and University Settlements – met to discuss the formation of a “permanent comprehensive body of voluntary social workers for friendly visiting and other purposes”. n 1939 the Society was at the forefront of the formation of Citizens Advice Bureaux, taking over the ground floor of 34, Stanley Street
  • c1919 – Champion Whates Lodging House – Taylor St/Scotland road – closed 1979
  • 1919/21 – Bryant and May match factory, Garston – still there – Matchworks
  • 1920/25 – Frank Hornby – Hornby Trains
  • 1920 – Fazakerley Sanatorium opened, became Aintree Hospital in 1950
  • 1920 –  St Philip Neri – Catherine St – amazing marble and mosaics
  • 1920 – Bank of British West Africa – Water St/Strand – Sir Arnold Thornley
  • 1920 – Lloyds Bank – corner of Slater St/Bold St – George Hastwell Grayson
  • c1920 – Larkhill Estate built by council – 2,045 houses on 231 acres. The old house, Larkhill, which gave its name to the estate, was kept for use as a public library and an ornamental lake was made into a public garden
  • c1920 – former Coopers store Church St. Was also WH Smiths – Gerald de Courcy Fraser
  • c1920 – former National Bank – James St – T. Arnold Ashworth & Sons
  • 1921 – Liverpool Corporation Act
  • 1921 – Calder High School opens for 162 girls
  • 1921 – Cains Brewery merges with Walkers of Warrington
  • 1921 – ‘Hall of Remembrance’ opened in Town Hall by Due of Windsor – 13,000 Liverpool military men died in First World War
  • 1921 – Statue of King Edward VII by William Goscombe John is 16 ft (5 m) high and stands in front of the Cunard Building. Restored 2008
  • 1922 – Quarry Bank High School for Boys. John Lennon went here in 1952
  • 1922 – Liverpool Select Vestry dissolved and absorbed by West Derby Union
  • 1922 – St Peters Church St demolished – many bodies exhumed
  • 1922 – Barker & Dobson sweet factory – Whitefield Rd/Breck Rd
  • 1922 – Grosvenor Cinema Stanley Rd – still there as funeral directors
  • 1922 – The Victory Picture House – Walton Rd – 4th Oct. Closed 1961
  • 1922 – The Coliseum – City Road Walton – 7th Dec – building still there as Crofts Social Club
  • 1922 – Trocadero – Camden St. Closed 4th May 1974 – demolished 1996
  • 1922 – Concerns raised that raw pollution in the Mersey is making dredging/pumping more difficult due to ‘crust’ forming on sea bed
  • 1922 – Holly Lodge School opens
  • 1923 – Littlewoods Pools started                , John Moores
  • 1923 – The Liverpool Royal Infirmary Nurses` Home, now known as Cedar House – Ashton St – now School of Medicine 2001
  • 1923 – British American Tobacco Factory, Commercial Rd Kirkdale – closes 1989 with loss of 1100 jobs – now flats
  • 1923 – Tuesday 13th Feb – gas explosion, 3 houses destroyed one killed – Tynemouth St, Everton
  • 1923 – Stanley Park open air baths opened – closed 1960
  • 1923 – Cains Stanhope St brewery building bought by Higsons
  • 1923 – Rebuilt Woolworths – Church St – site of Keys
  • 1923 – Holly St tenements (was Myrtle St). Demolished for St Anne St police station – c1970
  • 1923 – Dingle House
  • 1924 – The Grafton Ballrooms – 2nd Aug 1963 Beatles last but one public appearance on Merseyside (played Cavern on the 3rd Aug)
  • 1924 – C&A opens in Church St – closes 2000
  • 1924 – Lister Drive Power Station – first to have natural draught hyperbolic-curved reinforced concrete cooling towers
  • 1924 – Exchange Newsroom Monument unveiled – Derby House – moved to present site in 1953
  • 1924 – 19th July – Anglican Cathedral consecrated by Archbishop of Canterbury in presence of King George V. Liverpool is the largest Cathedral in the UK (in sq metres), and the 5th largest in the world. Its under-tower vault is the highest in the world. Its bells are the highest and heaviest peal in the world. The Grand Organ is the largest in the UK
  • 1925 – Vernons Pools started by George Randall Kennerley and Vernon Sangster
  • 1925 – Empire Theatre rebuilt – block demolished and extended
  • 1925 – Owen Owen moves to Clayton Square from London Rd – now Tescos
  • 1925 – Everton Terrace Police Station – demolished early 1970’s
  • c1925 – The Popular Picture House opened around 21st December 1925. Netherfield Rd North
  • 1925 – Construction of Queensway tunnel starts (completed 1934)
  • 1925 – First Juvenile Courts in Crosshall St – Crosshall Buildings
  • 1925 – “Lord Leverhulme dies – The Sandon Studios Society launched a campaign, driven by the
  •  efforts of Fanny Dove Hamel Calder, to save the Bluecoat”
  • 1925 – Herbert Tyson Smith moves into studios at Bluecoat Chambers
  • 1925 – Northern Outlet Sewer completed (extended in 1931) discharged into Canada Basin
  • 1925 – Electrification of docks system completed
  • 1925/29 – Kirkdale tenements – Owen/Melrose/Stanley/Fonthill – known as ‘billogs’ – demolished 1983. On site of former Owens sawmill and timber yard – bordered by Owen, St Agnes, Fontill Rd – over 400 flats
  • 1926 – Lock Ah Tam executed by William Willis, assisted by Henry Pollard, on the morning of Tuesday, the 23rd of March 1926.
  • 1926 – Alsop High School on Queens Drive site
  • 1926 – Yorkshire House – Chapel St – headquarters for Yorkshire BC
  • 1926 – Liverpool Maternity Hospital – Oxford St – completed 1931
  • 1926 – Norris Green Estate – 7,689 houses
  • 1927 – Stanley Greyhound Stadium (had been Stanley Athletic Ground, 1880’s)
  • c1927 – Dunlop takes over Liverpool Rubber Co.                Dunlop Wellington boots
  • 1927 – Manica Crescent Fazakerley
  • 1927 – Margaret Bevan – Britain’s first female Lord Mayor
  • 1927 – Inaugural City Marathon – finishes at half-time in Anfield (v Blackburn)
  • 1927 – No 26 Exchange St East – Royal Exchange Assurance Bldg
  • 1927 – Gladstone Dock completed – original graving dock enclosed, two branch docks, 3 miles of quay, river entrance
  • 1927 – St Patrick’s Catholic School (and Memorial Hall) – Park Place 21st Aug
  • 1927 – Oil jetties built at Herculaneum Docks
  • 1927 – Tensions with Indian immigrants in Liverpool
  • 1927 – Rialto Ballroom – Upper Parliament St –  burned down in Toxteth Riots
  • 1928 –The Kop covered
  • 1928 – Peter Pan statue – Sefton Park – donated by Mr George Audley
  • 1928 – Liverpool Council purchase Speke Estate
  • 1928 – Help the Aged
  • 1928 – Extension to Henry Lee’s/John Lewis building – corner of Houghton Lane/Houghton St – now Rapid. Bon Marche adjacent to Reeces on Parker St may also have been demolished?
  • 1928 – Breck Park Greyhound Stadium – Lower Breck Rd, Anfield – closed 1948 – became sports ground – 1953 Edinburgh Park
  • 1928 – First National Police Athletic Assoc Championships held at Fairfield athletics ground
  • 1928 – College of Commerce – corner of Smithfield St/Tithebarn
  • 1928 – 3rd April – official breakthrough for Queensway Tunnel – actual was 11th March
  • 1928 – Dixie Dean, the Everton player, scores a total of 82 goals in the 1927/8 season
  • 1928 – August – ‘Robin Hoods Stone’ relocated – Enclosed within railings on the corner of Archerfield Road and Booker Avenue
  • 1928 – 21st July – Earl of Derby officially opens Alfred Entrance to Gladstone docks
  • 1928 – MDHB sells Clarence Dock estate to City Council for power station
  • 1928 – Pacific Chambers 11 – 13 Victoria St for Lloyds Bank
  • 1929/64 – David ‘Davie’ Logan MP for Scotland (Rd) Ward
  • 1929 – William Keeling invents ‘Newfooty’ a rival to subbuteo
  • 1929 – Works starts on East Lancs Road to Salford, completed 1934
  • 1929 – First phase of Broadway shops completed Norris Green – Townsend/Utting Ave
  • 1929 – Clarence dock filled in – site for Clarence Dock Power Station – 3 large chimneys, demolished in 1994, Trafalgar Dock reconstructed (mostly now filled in)
  • 1930 – Unveiling of Cenotaph – St Georges
  • 1930 – Eddie Braben born – writer for Ken Dodd and Morecamble & Wise
  • 1930 – India Buildings completed Water St (for Alfred Holt & Co). Badly damaged in the Blitz, reconstruction completed by 1953. Old India Buildings demolished 1928 along with Canton and Commercial Buildings, Seaton Buildings, Cereal Chambers between Chorley St and Drury Lane
  • 1930 – Liverpool Great Rail Pageant – Wavertree Playground
  • 1930 – Bessie Braddock elected to council
  • 1930 – Evered Ave High School Walton – closed 2001
  • 1930 – 11 killed in explosion at Bibbys Mill
  • 1930 – Commodore Cinema, Stanley Rd Bootle opens – closed 1968 becomes MECCA Bingo – now warehouse
  • 1930 – Lloyds Bank – 17 Church St
  • 1930 – The Astoria Cinema was opened on 21st July 1930 – Walton Road at the corner of Furness Street
  • 1930 – Dovecot Estate – either side of Prescot Rd – inc Dovecot Baths 1936 (demolished in 90s)
  • 1930 – Major subsidence in Dale St
  • 1930 – Great Richmond St Dwellings – still there
  • c1930 – Highfield Gardens – Demolished 1994 – Highfield St
  • c1930 – Slum clearance off St Anne St – Torbock St., Johnson Place, Gomer St., Harker Place, Dickinson Terr., Travers St. Soho St –  ‘four squares’ of tenements erected – completed 1935
  • 1930s – Dole Schools set up – e.g. Oldham St
  • c1930 – Refuse destructor built at 38 Lightfoot St by The Dock Board – operated by Bootle Barge Company
  • 1931 – Boom in cinemas and attendance – estimated 576,000 cinema attendances each week in Liverpool
  • 1931 – Stanley Abattoir opened 14th Sept
  • 1931 – Brownlow Hill Workhouse demolished for site of cathedral
  • 1931 – Extension to School for the Blind – Hardman St
  • 1931 – First of many boxing bouts at Anfield -Johnny Cuthbert v Nel Tarleton
  • 1931 – Lawrence Gardens – Lawrence/Cazenau/Scotland Rd
  • 1931 – May – Burroughs Gardens Wash House completely reconstructed on an adjoining new site and modernised
  • 1931 – The Wallace Murder’ – Wolverton St Anfield
  • 1931 – St Paul’s Church finally demolished after child killed by falling debris
  • 1931 – Forum Cinema – Lime St corner – still there but empty. The six storey exterior was designed by A. E. Shannon –
  • 1931 – Palace Ice Rink – Prescot Rd. Became Silver Blades in 1960’s closed 1986
  • 1931 – Edge Hill Library – built – Lodge Lane
  • 1931 – Population peaks at 855,000+ (census)
  • 1931/33 – Extension to Walker Art Gallery – Sir Arnold Thornley.
  • 1932 – Liverpool City Council purchased a large area of the Earl of Derby’s Knowsley estate The city built four large housing estates in the north-west of Huyton-with-Roby, one of which was Woolfall Heath also Fincham, Huyton farm, Longview
  • 1932 – Liverpool Boxing Stadium – also a famous music hall – Demolished 1987
  • 1932 – Bascule Bridge from Collingwood to Stanley Dock – Regent Rd – still there
  • c1932 – Ritz Roller Rink – Myrtle St/Mulberry St – Rodney Youth Centre from 1960
  • 1932 – Liverpool Zoological Park – Elmswood Rd Mossley Hill – Closed 1938
  • 1932 – Martins Bank completed, Water St
  • 1932 – Agnes Jones House – Catharine St – Liverpool Womens Hospital (amalgamated Liverpool Womens & Samaritan Hospital)
  • 1932 – Mersey Motor Boat Company – canal leisure boats, moorings at Litherland and Lydiate
  • 1932 – Shaftesbury Memorial and Eros Fountain – unveiled in Sefton Park
  • 1932 – Blackburn Assurance Chambers – Dale st/Fontenoy St.
  • 1932 – Georges Dock Ventilation Tower for Mersey Tunnel by Herbert J Rowse
  • 1932 – South Hill House – Dingle Lane
  • 1932 – White City Stadium, Breck Rd. Closed 1973.
  • 1933 – Seaforth Greyhound Stadium – closed 1965 – Crosby Rd South
  • 1933 – Speke Airport opened
  • 1933 – Everton v Man City in FA Cup Final – first time players had shirt numbers 1 – 22
  • 1933 – Reo Cinema – Longmoor Lane Fazackerley. Closed 14th Jan 1961, became Mecca Bingo
  • 1933 – Dr Mennitt at Liverpool’s maternity hospital uses gas and air in childbirth for the first time
  • 1933 – 5th July – Philharmonic Hall burns down.   Royal Court Theatre also has major fire 2 months later
  • c1933 – Knotty Ash estate
  • c1933 – Vauxhall Gardens – slums demolished, Northampton/Upper Milk/Worfield/Union Place/Tomlin St
  • 1933/34 – Rebuilt front of National & Provincial Bank – No. 7 Water St – now II Palazzo – lions on doors
  • 1934 – On the 18th July King George V opened Walton Hall Park to the public
  • 1934 – East Lancs Road opened by King George V – 18th July
  • 1934 – Mersey ‘Queensway’ Tunnel officially opens 18th July(started 1925)
  • 1934 – North John St Ventilation Shaft Blding – on site of Bretherton’s Blding, on site of Bartholomew Bretherton’s stable yard for Angel Inn – hence horses head reliefs on tower
  • 1934 – Liverpool Police Force first to use two-way radios
  • 1934 – Littlewoods introduces mail-order shopping to the UK
  • 1934 – 15th October Paramount Theatre – London Rd – became Odeon Cinema in 1942 – demolished in 2012
  • 1934 – Tatler Cinema – 25 Church St – upstairs – closed 1972 (now Clarkes)
  • 1934 – Vernons Pools headquarters Ormskirk Rd. Was first purpose-built offices constructed by a UK pools company
  • 1934 – Brian Epstein born 19th Sept – Rodney St
  • 1934 – Ethel Austin starts business in her front room
  • 1934 – Blackstock Gardens built – site of 72+ deaths on 20/21st Dec 1940
  • 1935 – Birkett St tenements – Scarlet St/Tessera St/Atkinson St demolished to make way
  • 1935 – Wavertree Gardens – Wavertree High St – now Abbeygate Apartments
  • 1935 – Pendletons Ice Cream – Kirkby – taken over by Lyons Maid 1988
  • 1935 – ‘Public Health’ exhibition held in George Henry Lee’s – 13th – 18th May -showcased model of St Andrew’s Gardens
  • 1935 – Gerard Gardens (demolished 1987).  Old property on Hunter, Christian, Gerard and Circus Street were demolished. Foundation stoned laid 21st June 1935 Rt Hon Sir Kingsley Wood MP
  • 1935 – St Andrews Gardens – top of Copperas Hill site of old abattoir – also blocks on Gill St/Trowbridge St/St Andrew St – all demolished mid 80’s
  • 1935 – Chaucer House – tenement – Chaucer St/Juvenal St/Scotland Rd
  • c1935 – Wilbraham House – tenement – Scotland Rd
  • 1935/37 – Prince Albert Gardens, St James Gardens – off St James St either side of St Vincent De Paul Church
  • 1935/8 – ontenoy Gardens. Demolished 1987
  • 1936 – Matt Busby signs for Liverpool
  • 1936 – Electric irons introduced in wash houses
  • 1936 – Last burial at St James – 57,774 burials
  • 1936 – Frank Hornby dies 21st Sept, buried in Maghull
  • 1936 – Lancaster House – Old Hall St – Telephone Exchange originally
  • 1936 – Strawberry Fields -Salvation Army (Beaconsfield Rd) demolished 1936 and replaced – replica gates now in place
  • 1936 – Speke planned, not completed til 1957
  • 1936 – 341 acres used to create Speke Industrial Estate. By 1938 16 factories established, by 1952 46 sites occupied 300 acres for Long Lane Industrial Estate
  • 1936/37 – Greenbank Drive Hebrew Congregation Synagogue, Toxteth, consecrated 1937
  • 1936/39 – Over 2,000 volunteers from the UK, including 200 men from Merseyside, fought in Spain against General Franco and his fascist allies.
  • 1937 – The Liverpool United Hospitals Act was passed
  • 1937 – Burbo Mansions – Blundellsands
  • 1937 – The Majestic Cinema – Daulby St. Dem 1971
  • 1937 – School Block Newsham Seamans Orphanage
  • 1937 – King George VI and Queen Elizabeth visit Liverpool – Grand National
  • 1937 – Former Co-op London Road (built for Rubins Dept Store) – now student accommodation
  • 1937 – Myrtle Gardens 5th Oct(Minster Court) 344 flats – redeveloped 1983 – site of original botanic gardens        – other blocks on Grinfield St, Faulkner St, and east side of Smithdown Lane – Overbury/Irvine St
  • 1938 – Sir Thomas White Gardens – St Domingo House was demolished and a block of walk-up tenements was built and named after Sir Thomas White
  • c1938 – Caryl Gardens (demolished 1982), Warwick Gardens, Kent Gardens, Brunswick Gardens (Northumberland/Park St)
  • c1938 – Four Tenement blocks – Cartwright – Lionel – Downe – Thurlow House
  • 1938 – Byrom St widened
  • 1938 – Royal Court Theatre re-opened/built – Queen Square
  • 1938 – Tenements – Woodstock, Hopwood, Ashfield (St.) All demolished 1983/84
  • 1938 – First World Cup of Baseball game (England v USA) held at Wavertree Playground – 6,000 spectators
  • 1938 – Stanley Hall – Edmund St – for R.Silcock & Sons – animal feed producers
  • 1938 – Shorfield School (Dingle Vale)- Aigburth Rd, Toxteth – now Toxteth Annexe and Conf. Centre
  • 1938 – Merseyside Civic Society formed
  • 1938 – Dual-carriageway Formby Bypass  -to- Southport opens
  • 1938 – Radiant House – Bold St –                 originally Liverpool Gas Co.
  • 1938 – Littlewoods Pools building – Edge Lane
  • 1939 – IRA bombs in Liverpool and other cities
  • 1939 – Mersey Pilot boat disaster – 26th November – 23 killed – when ‘Charles Livingston’ grounds at Ainsdale
  • 1939 – Stanhope House – Upper Stanhope/Chesterfield St – Chesterfield Arms pub demolished
  • 1938/39 – St Oswald’s Gardens – Tuebrook
  • 1939 – Hurst Gardens – Tuebrook, Edge Lane/St Oswald’s St
  • 1939 – Plaza Cinema, Crosby Rd North Waterloo
  • 1939 – 17th Oct – Ionic Star wrecked in the River Mersey, whilst on a voyage from Rio de Janeiro & Santos to Liverpool with a cargo of fruit & cotton
  • 1939 – Newsham House renovated
  • 1937/39 – Royal Telephone Exchange, Seel Street, was site of the original Synagogue 1807
  • 1939 – Last ferry service between Liverpool and Rock Ferry
  • 1939 – Paddington Gardens – 100 units – Mason St
  • 1939 – Thetis Submarine disaster – 99 dead, 1st June
  • 1939 – 8th May – Bob Paisley signs for Liverpool
  • 1939 – Everton win last league til after the war
  • 1939 – Launch of RMS Mauritania II – 17th June
  • 1939 – Derby House Exchange Flags
  • 1940/41 – Royal Ordnance Factories – Kirkby (employs 20,000) , Fazackerley, – used for post war manufacturing boom
  • 1940 – Ringo Starr – Richard Starkie born in Madryn St – still there and saved in 2012 as a tourist attraction
  • 1940 – John Lennon born 9th Oct – lives at 251 Menlove Ave, Mendips with Aunt Mimi from age 5
  • 1940 – ‘British Restaurant’ opened by Corporation in Fontenoy Gardens – Keays/Woolton
  • 1940 – SS Arandora Star torpedoed – 805 killed – sailed from Liverpool on 1st July
  • 1940/45 – From 1940 until the end of the war, Liverpool received 1285 incoming convoys – an average of four a week. Each convoy upto 70 ships
  • 1940 – May – Huyton Alien Internment Camp – Woolfall Heath estate
  • 1940 – Napier’s aircraft engine works Gilmoss/East Lancs Rd
  • 1940 – 17th Aug – first bombs dropped on Liverpool
    • 31st Aug – An air raid Shelter at Cleveland Square off Paradise street is hit. At least 16 Die 6th Sept – Bombing at Claudia Street, Walton kills 6 people
    • 7th Oct – The Welsh Chapel in Great Mersey Street is demolished by a bomb
    • 10th Oct – 4 People are killed when a bomb hits Elderdale Road in Anfield. 4 are killed in Manningham Road in Anfield.
    • 11th Oct – South John Street is hit with 10 people being killed in the incident
    • 12th Oct – Chapman Street is hit. At least 9 people die in the bombing all of whom are related
    • 14th Oct – two bombs hit Myrtle Gardens tenements. At least 12 people died in the attack, most of the victims are children
    • 16th Oct – A shelter is hit in Louisa Street, Everton. At least 8 people are killed
    • 19th Oct – A house at 130 High Park Street, Toxteth is hit killing 4 people
    • 26th Oct – Netherfield Rd is bombed, at least 11 are killed
    • 28th/29th November – 200 people killed in total as the first land mines dropped on Merseyside.
    • 164 people killed when a shelter underneath the Ernest Brown Junior Technical School, Durning Road, collapsed 1:55am 29th November
    • 8 Members of the same family (Armstrong) die when their home is hit at 38 Rose Place, off Scotland
    • Ashfield in Wavertree is hit with the loss of at least 16 lives
    • Spofforth Road is bombed. At least 9 people lose their lives in the attack
    • Christmas Blitz – not all listed here see:
    • 21st Dec – St Nicks hit by incendiary bombs – Only the tower and the administrative block were unscathed
    • 21st Dec – The Air raid shelter at Blackstock Gardens takes a direct hit. At least 72 people lose their
    • 21st Dec – Heber Street off West Derby Road is hit. At least 14 die
    • 22nd Dec – St Anthony’s ( Scotland Road ) school shelter hit. At least 11 deaths, including two priests
  • 1940s – Portland St tenements off Burlington St
  • c1940 – Aintree Racecourse, Liverpool WWII Free French Navy Camp (camp capacity 1,400 personnel)
  • 1941 – Western Approaches Command HQ moved to Liverpool (Exchange Flags) on 7 February 1941 – Derby House, Exchange Buildings
  • 1941 – The Blitz – Lost buildings:- Goree Piazzes, Customs House, Corn Exchange, 70,000 homeless.
    • 13th March – 65+ deaths in Lace/Adlington St
    •  3rd May – will always be remembered as the biggest night of terror on Merseyside –  29 Deaths in Venmore St Anfield by bombing, 125 deaths in Holy Cross Shelter – Standish St  SS Makaland explosion in Huskisson Dock – Lewis’s, Blackler’s hit
    • 6th May – ‘Bombed out Church’ St Luke’s
    • 13th May – 559 blitz victims buried at Anfield Cemetry – many un-named
  • 1941 –    SS Politician leaves Liverpool on 3rd Feb – sinks and leads to film ‘Whiskey Galore’. Owned by T & J Harrison of Liverpool
  • 1941 – St Pius X RC school Cranmer Street/Athol St. Closed 1983
  • 1941 – Norris Green ‘British Restaurant’ opened
  • 1941 – 26th April- Winston Churchill visits Liverpool
  • 1941 – Government Buildings – Victoria St hit and destroyed in Blitz – still a car park behind Municipal Buildings
  • 1942 – 10th Jan – Upper Stanhope Street receive a direct hit. Houses between 111 and 119 take the full force at least 13 dead. The night of the 10th January saw the last bombing raids of WW2 in Liverpool
  • 1942 – Tower of Anglican Cathedral finished
  • 1942 – 6th Dec – SS Ceramic sunk by U-boat on route too Australia – 655 die
  • 1942 – Gerry Marsden born 24th Sept Toxteth
  • 1942 – 12th Sept – RMS Laconia sunk on route from Egypt to Liverpool – 1619 men lost
  • 1942 – Paul McCartney born18th June, Walton Hospital
  • 1943 – Austin Harford becomes first Catholic Mayor
  • 1943 – 22nd November the eighteen year old, newly named Richard Burton made his professional stage debut at the Royal Court Theatre
  • 1944 – Capt Johnnie Walker died on 9 July after suffering a cerebral thrombosis two days earlier, attributed to exhaustion. Around 1,000 people attended his funeral at Liverpool Anglican Cathedral. Buried at sea 11th July
  • 1945 – Bessie Bradock elected as MP for Liverpool Exchange and retained seat for 24 years – statue in Lime St Station – dies in 1970
  • 1945 – 13th July – THE strange case of the Man in the Iron Tube – found off Gt Homer St /Fulford St
  • 1945 – Post war – ChinaTown moves to Berry St, Nelson St area due to Blitz bombing of Pitt St etc
  • 1945/47 – 1000 pre-fab house built in Belle Vale
  • 1946 – Liverpool Corporation buys Kirkby ROF and lands from Earl of Sefton
  • 1946 – First footballer to score three consecutive hat-tricks (Jack Balmer, playing for Liverpool FC).
  • 1946 – Liverpool Trojans Baseball Club founded
  • 1947 – Anti-Jewish Riots – following death of two sergeants in Palestine
  • 1947 – Liverpool win the first post-war League Championship.
  • 1947 – Lewis’s Building rebuilt Ranelagh St – Liverpool Resurgent statue 1956 – (Dicky Lewis) by Sir Jacob Epstein. Only the furthest part of the building down Renshaw Street, the ‘Watson Building’, which at one point housed a car showroom, was retained from the older, more decorative 1920s building               .
  • 1947 – 33,000 people on council house waiting list
  • 1947 – Liverpool City Police Womens’s Corps formed
  • 1947 – w/c 19th May – Laurel & Hardy at Liverpool Empire
  • 1948 – First port in world to install radar controlled ferry-system and port radar
  • 1948 – National Docks Labour Scheme
  • 1948 – 31st July – 2nd Aug: anti-black hostilities started by Rialto Theatre, 32 arrests, black restaurants, cafes etc attacked.
  • 1948 – The Leeds-Liverpool Canal is nationalised along with the rest of Britain’s canals
  • 1948 – Club ship Landfall inc Master Mariners Club – moored in Canning Dock
  • 1949 – Cameo Cinema Murders – March14th – George Kelly hanged
  • 1949 – Liverpool designated a scheduled ‘development area’
  • 1949 – Kings Gardens – Mill St/Hill St – separated by The Grapes/Dick Jennings pub
  • 1949 – Major fire at docks – £2,000,000 – rubber
  • 1949 – Liverpool City Police Cadet Force formed
  • 1949 – First deisel powered ferry
  • 1950 – Otterspool Promenade – made from spill of Queensway Tunnel – later Festival Gardens site
  • 1950 – World’s first helicopter passenger service took off from Liverpool to Wrexham, then Cardiff. 1st June
  • 1950s – Kirkby Industrial Estate built up – at 1971 peak employs 26,000
  • 1950 – Sussex Gardens – last blocks built in walk-up landing style- 4/5 storey – off Sussex St, courts demolished late 40’s –
  • SouthChester/St/Rockbrook/Coburg/Luke/Jenner/Spring/Bryan/Lnsdowne/Devonshire/Southampton Streets
  • 1950 – South portico pediment sculpture of St Georges Hall removed
  • 1951 – Liverpool Festival – part of Festival of Britain1951 – Gates to Sailors Home removed and sold to W&T Avery, subsequently moved to their museum in Sandwell Birmingham – see 2011
  • 1951 – The first diesel ferry to enter service was the Royal Iris
  • 1951 – Major flu epidemic hits Liverpool
  • 1952 – First of municipal houses in Kirkby – by 1961 10,000 dwellings had been built (fastest growing township in the UK) 50,000 people ‘decanted’
  • 1952 – Major fire at Croxteth Hall – restored 2013
  • 1952 – Liverpool twinned with Cologne
  • 1952 – Albert Dock given Grade I Listed Status
  • 1952 – Double execution at Walton – 25th of April – Edward Devlin (22) and Alfred Burns (21) who had been convicted of the murder of 54 year old Alice Rimmer.
  • 1952 – Rebuilt St Nicks Church consecrated on18th Oct. Further modifications took place in 1993
  • 1952 – The Merseyside Hospitals’ Radio Network was formed and commenced broadcasting on 18th October
  • 1952 – Memorial to Merchant Navy Seaman – Pier head.
  • 1953 – Coronation Gardens Paradise St – blitz site
  • 1953 – Edmund Gardner pilot ship – 32 pilots on board
  • 1953 – Rum Warehouse – Stanley Dock North
  • 1953 – 9th April Lita Roza is the first Liverpool born woman to top the pop charts
  • 1953 – Duke of Edinburgh opens ‘Edingburgh Park’, Anfield
  • 1953 – Empress of Canada liner fire – Gladstone Dock
  • 1953 – War Memorial moved to Exchange Flags from Derby House
  • 1953 – Rebuilt St Mary’s in Highfield St. Demolished 2003
  • 1953 – Liverpool City Police Dog Section formed
  • 1953 – Korean War – Battle of The Hook – the last Battle Honour to be awarded to the King’s Regiment
  • 1953 – William ‘Billy’ Collins sets up ‘inter-street football league’
  • 1953 – Royal Liver Building – electronic chimes were installed to serve as a memorial to the members of the Royal Liver Friendly Society who died during the two World Wars
  • 1953 – Arnold Dyson Gym – 26 Oxford St                – First British Mr Universe
  • 1953/59 – New Corn Exchange – Fenwick St – on site of previous
  • 1954 – Aintree Grand Prix circuit opens – staged the British Grand Prix in 1955, 1957, 1959, 1961 and 1962
  • 1954 – The Calderstone’s are moved
  • 1954 – 2nd Sept maiden voyage of Cunards Saxonia
  • 1954/56 – Reliance House – Water St
  • 1955 – Spinney House – Church St – was Littlewoods – now Primark
  • 1955 – Twenty five year old Norman Green was hanged on Wednesday, the 27th of July of 1955 for stabbing two young boys to death
  • 1955 – Stirling Moss first British winner of British Grand Prix (Aintree)
  • 1955 – First Labour controlled council
  • c1955 – Kumar Brothers Building – Ranelagh St1956 – First one-man buses trialled
  • 1956 – The CARINTHIA left Liverpool on 27th June 1956 with over 800 passengers for Montreal
  • 1956? – Wellington Barracks renamed Chavasse House,                 Sarum Rd – home to TA and 208 Field Hospital
  • 1956 – Underground car-park Exchange Flags
  • 1956 – Cresswell Mount off Netherfield Rd South – Demolished 1984.
  • 1956 – St Gregory’s RC Secondary Modern (then Campion) – Prince Edwin St
  • 1956 – Gospel Hall Chinese Mission – 20 Nelson St – Gladys Aylward
  • 1956 – 30th December – Overhead Railway closes – dismantled in 1957
  • 1955/57 – Tate & Lyle Sugar Silo – still there
  • 1957 – Coronation Court Sparrow Hall Estate – Liverpool first high rise flats built
  • 1957 – Floodlights at Anfield
  • 1957 – The Cavern Club opens 16th Jan – old fruit warehouse
  • 1957 – 6th July – John Lennon and Paul McCartney meet at the annual Garden Fete, St Peter’s Church, Woolton, where Lennon’s skiffle group The Quarrymen were performing. McCartneys debut 18th Oct at New Clubmoor Hall in Norris Green
  • 1957/58 – Mardi Gras Club in Mount Pleasant – opposite BeeHive – moved to Bold St around 1973 became known for Northern Soul with resident DJ Billy Butler
  • 1957 – Last of trams run – 14th September – ‘Car 293’ a Baby Grand
  • 1957 – The 22-year old Judi Dench made her professional stage debut at Royal Court Theatre in September 1957
  • 1957 – Foot and Mouth disease found at Stanley Abattoir
  • 1957 – Dr Margaret Thomas (Later Lady Woolton) became the first woman president The Liverpool Medical Institute
  • 1957 – 750th Charter Celebrations – including ‘Industry Advances’ exhibition
  • 1957 –  ‘The Violent Playground’ filmed in Liverpool – David McCallum, Stanley Baxter, Peter Cushing – Gerard gardens
  • 1957 – Top Hat Records – Dale St opened by Mitchell Torok
  • 1957 – Gateacre Comprehensive School – UKs first purpose built comprehensive
  • c1957 – Bunny’s Store Whitechapel/Church St demolished – became site of NEMS
  • 1957/60 – Merchants Court – Lord St/Derby Sq
  • 1958 – Kingston House – Seamans Mission – corner of James St/Strand
  • 1958 – Bluecoat finally restored
  • 1958 – Bloomfield Green off Lark Lane
  • 1958 – Lewis’s Bank absorbed by Martin’s Bank
  • 1958 – 15th July – Julia Lennon mother of John killed by drink-driver on Menlove Ave
  • 1958 – Lutyens Crypt completed                – (started 1933) – 6,000,000 bricks!
  • 1958 – Jacaranda Pub opened in Slater St – formerly a café and watch repair shop
  • 1959 – Shankly becomes LFC manager on 1st Dec
  • 1959 – Triumph factory opens in Speke – becomes British Leyland in 1970
  • 1959 – Wah Sing Chinese Community Centre – 149 Duke St
  • 1959 – Blue Coat Display Centre opens, founder: Robert Gardner-Medwin, Professor of Architecture at Liverpool University
  • 1959 – 17th July  – 38 Kensington Road – The Quarrymen’s first disc. Percy Phillips recording studio
  • 1959 – Casbah Coffee Club – 8 Haymans Green, West Derby – origin of the Beatles basement of Mona Bests house, Pete Bests mum
  • 1960 – Iron Door Club – 13 Temple St., Geoffrey Hogarth and his partner Harry Ormesher. The Beatles’ (as the Silver Beetles) first show here 15 May 1960
  • 1960 – Seaman’s Strike – Paddy Neary jailed for six months
  • 1960 – MV Snowdrop (as MV Woodchurch – renamed 2003) comes to the Mersey
  • 1960 – First British banking computer at Martins Bank
  • 1960 – June – John Lennon/Bill Harry/Rod Murray/Stuart Sutcliffe meet at Ye Cracke – The Dissenters
  • 1960 – Entwistle Heights – Upper Parliament/Crown St
  • 1960 – The Searches formed – 1963 Sweet for my Sweet No.1
  • 1960 – Fire in Hendersons Dept Store – Church St kills 11 people
  • 1960 – James Parsons Building – Liverpool Polytechnic – Byrom st
  • 1960s – Jericho Dairy farm demolished – off Jericho Lane Otterspool
  • 1960 – Beatles in Hamburg
  • 1960 – Giles Gilbert Scott dies – Anglican Cath. architect – buried with wife at entrance
  • 1960 – Skelhorne St Bus Station – closed Sept 1989
  • 1960 – Mersey Bar Light Ship launched – operated til 1972, last manned lightship on the Mersey
  • 1960 – Work commences on Royal Seaforth Docks – continues until 1972
  • 1961 – Beatles play at The Cavern FOR FIRST TIME – 9th FEBRUARY
  • c1961 – Pall Mall section of Leeds Liverpool Canal filled in – back to Chisenhale Bridge
  • 1961 – GHL acquire Bon Marche on Church St
  • 1961 – Six minarets removed from Princes Rd Synagogue
  • 1961 – Runcorn Traffic Bridge opens
  • 1961 – 8th Feb – The Beatles play Blair Hall Walton (above Co-op) for first time
  • 1961 – Bill Harry launches the ‘Mersey Beat’ magazine. Offices 81a Renshaw St
  • 1961 – Garibaldi Heights – Flats Everton – 3 x 14 storeys
  • 1962 – LFC promoted after 8 years in Division Two
  • 1962 – Plans drawn up for The Liverpool Inner-Motorway – never implemented
  • 1962 – Brian Epstein signs up the Beatles at NEMS, 24th January
  • 1962 – John Lennon marries Cynthia Powell at 64 Mount Pleasant Registry Office
  • 1962 – Pete Best replaced by Ringo Starr – 18th Aug
  • 1962 – Stuart Sutcliffe dies of brain tumour in Hamburg
  • 1962 – On 5th Oct 1962, The Beatles released their first single Love Me Do
  • 1962 – Pink Football Echo
  • c1962 – State House – Dale St/North John St
  • 1962 – Peter McGovern writes – ‘In My Liverpool Home’ – The Spinners
  • 1963 – Ford Halewood Opened – first Ford Anglia produced
  • 1963 – First Beatles No1. – Please Please me
  • 1963 – The last steam ferry on the Mersey was the Wallasey, which sailed for the last time at Whitsun
  • 1963 – Gerry and The Pacemakers No.1 with ‘How do you do it?’ and ‘I Like It’ and ‘You’ll Never Walk Alone’
  • 1963 – Beat City – ITV documentary
  • 1963 – The Sink Club – Hardman St (basement of rumble and tum café). Closed in 1971. The Magnet opens in same building 2001?
  • 1963 – Archbishop Whiteside School – Silvester St. Closed 1993
  • 1963 – Hard winter sees the canal freeze for weeks and adds to its decline
  • 1963 – Kemlyn Road stand rebuilt. – Demolished 1992 for second tier to be added – Centenary Stand
  • 1963 – 3rd Aug – Beatles last gig at the Cavern
  • 1963 – April 1963 -to- May 1964 Liverpudlian artists occupy No.1 chart position
  • 1963 – YNWA adopted by LFC faithful
  • 1964 – Original St Johns Market demolished West side of Clayton Sq. demolished
  • 1964 – Pier Head Bus Station opened. Demolished 1990
  • 1964 – LFC Champions and into Europe!!
  • 1964 – Liverpool switch to all red kit
  • 1964 – Cilla Black No. 1 with ‘Anyone Who Had a Heart’ and ‘You’re my World’
  • 1964 – 9th Feb – Beatles on Ed Sullivan Show US
  • 1964 – 10th July – Beatles reception at Town Hall on release of film ‘A Hard Days Night’
  • 1964 – Commercial traffic on Liverpool section of canal ceases – coal replaced by gas/electricity, natural gas comes on line, lack of investment
  • 1964 – Liverpool ‘Industry Advances’ exhibition held in June
  • 1964 – Everyman Theatre formed in Hope St
  • 1964 – One of the last two UK hangings at Walton – Twenty one year old Peter Anthony Allen while his co-defendant, Evans (real name John Robson Walby), was hanged at the same moment at Strangeways prison in Manchester
  • 1964 – The Waterloo Goods Station ceased operation
  • 1965 – Liverpool beat Leeds in FA Cup Final
  • 1965 – National Building Agency/Council report on housing regeneration – 33,000 inner-area slums to be cleared between 1966-72. By 1969 a further 33 multi-storey developments
  • 1965 – Liverpool City Plan drawn up (Buchanan Report 1963)
  • c1965 – 5 x 15 storey blocks built off Ullet Rd
  • c1965 – Tate & Lyle extended over canal basin (filled in) at Chisenhale?
  • 1965 – Capel Celyn flooded for reservoir to supply Liverpool
  • 1965 – The Plaza (Littlewoods Building) 100 Old Hall St – 18 storeys
  • 1965 – Marwood Towers – Great Homer St/Scotland Rd
  • 1965 – 5th Dec – The Beatles’ final two live concerts in Liverpool took place on this evening at the city’s Empire Theatre
  • 1965 – Air crash at Speke – 4 killed as empty flight from I.O.M crashed into Thompson and Capper factory
  • 1965/67 – Kingsway House – Hatton Garden
  • 1966 – End of Liverpool – New York service – Cunard Lines RMS Sylvania
  • 1966 – 28 February – The Cavern Club in Liverpool was forced into liquidation.
  • 1966 – Reopening of The Cavern – Harold Wilson
  • 1966 – Construction starts on Wallasey Tunnel – Scottie Rd clearance
  • 1966 – Brynford and Milburn Heights were built on Conway Street
  • 1966 – Piazza Waterfall – Beetham Plaza – by Richard Huws
  • 1966 – Seven Seas Sculpture – Pier Head
  • 1966 – Liverpool Medical Institution Mount Pleasant extended
  • 1966 – Logan Towers (Athol St) ‘Hatters Castle’ – 15th July when it was built, the world’s tallest pre-fabricated building, and saw Liverpool overtake London in terms of high-rise residences
  • 1966 – Crete and Candia Towers                – still there on Kirkdale Rd
  • 1966 – The Piggeries – William Henry Street – Crosbie, Canterbury and Haigh Heights
  • 1966 – St Georges Heights – St Georges Hill – 22 storey
  • 1966 – Runway extension at Speke
  • 1962/67 – RC Cathedral – ‘Paddy’s Wigwham’ – started 1933 on site of Brownlow Hill Workhouse. Architect – Sir Frederick Gibberd               .
  • 1965/69 – St Johns Shopping Centre and Beacon (450feet) chimney for St Johns. Included revolving restaurant. Became Radio City in 2001
  • c1967 – Silkhouse Court – Tithebarn St
  • 1967 – Richmond Building demolished – (architect Sir James Picton)
  • 1967 – Brian Epstein dies – 27th Aug
  • 1967 – Liverpool City Police becomes Liverpool and Bootle Constabulary
  • 1967 – Adlington and Bispham House high rises – still there
  • 1967/68 – ETHEL WORMALD, Lord Mayor of Liverpool – died 23rd Feb 2013 – only the second woman to hold the position
  • 1968 – Paddington Comprehensive School – top end of Brownlow Hill/Irvine St, Holland roundabout – renamed Archbishop Blanch
  • 1968 – Harrington Street was surfaced over – one of two last wood block paved streets in Liverpool
  • 1968 – UK last main line passenger steam train at Lime St- 11th Aug
  • 1968 – Seacombe/Ellison/Edinburgh Towers – Netherfield Rd – 14 floors. All now demolished
  • 1968 – The Scaffold No. 1 with ‘Lily the Pink’
  • 1968 – The Birkenhead and Wallasey ferry operations merged into Mersey Ferries
  • 1968 – Mersey Rail Extension Act passed – links Southport and Ormskirk lines with those to south and east of city
  • 1968 – Liverpool 8 Poets – bestselling poetry anthology book in world – McGough, Henri, Patten
  • 1969 – The Liver Birds on TV – runs til 1978
  • 1969 – Concourse House – Lime St. Demolished 2008
  • 1969 – Arthur Dooley’s ‘The Resurrection of Christ’ at Princes Park Methodist Church
  • 1969 – Churchill Way Flyover opens
  • 1969 – New St Johns Market opens
  • 1969 – Senate House, Abercromby Sq.
  • 1969 – Redeveloped Georges Pier head Concourse opened – 13th Feb
  • 1969 – John Lennon marries Yoko Ono 20th March
  • 1969 – 15th Nov – first MOTD in colour is Liverpool v West Ham. Liverpool win 2-0, Lawler ’27, Graham ’60
  • 1969 – Merseyside Passenger Transport Authority established – buses and ferries
  • 1969 – West block of Waterloo Docks warehouses demolished
  • 1970/73 – Atlantic Thistle Hotel – The Strand
  • 1970’s – Netherley Estate etc. – pulled down late 80’s
  • 1970 – Vernon Sangster Sports Centre – Stanley Park. Demolished 2007
  • 1970 – Liver Hotel – Robson St demolished
  • 1970 – Liverpool Museum Planetarium opens – renovated 2012
  • 1970 – 9th March – Senate House sit-in by university students
  • 1970 – Canning Place Fire Station opens (Fosters House)
  • 1970 – 10th April – Beatles announce they will split
  • c1970 – St Anne Street Police Station
  • 1970 – St Anthony’s School – Newsham St demolished
  • 1970/71 – Virgin Record shop opens in Bold St – now Maggie Mays café
  • 1971 – Knowsley Safari Park
  • 1971 – Radcliffe Estate Everton – Shaw St/Everton Rd/Cobden St. Demolished 1989
  • 1971 – Kingsway Mersey Tunnel opens – 24th June
  • 1971 – New Brighton Ferry ends
  • 1971 – Probe Records – founded – had famous store in Button St (1976)
  • 1971 – The Onedin Line runs on TV until 1980. The inspiration for the hugely-popular BBC television series was Capt James Baines, born and brought up in Duke Street. His mum had sweet shop/confectioners – site of White Lion/Banksy pub
  • 1971 – Majestic Cinema – Daulby St demolished
  • 1971 – HSBC Bank Building – Dale St
  • 1971 – Riverside Station closes – demolished 1990’s
  • 1971 – Byrom St flyover built
  • 1971 – Mersey Docks and Harbour Act .MDHB becomes Mersey Docks and Harbour Company
  • 1971/73 – Royal Seaforth Dock opens, 1984 becomes Free port, a very irregular octagonal basin in a 500-acre site
  • 1972/4 – M57 completed
  • 1972 – Victoria Dock filled in
  • 1972 – Liverpool Parks Police disbanded park gates no longer closed
  • 1972 – Last of turn around cruises leave Princes landing stage – Aureol and SS Uganda
  • 1972 – South Docks finally close
  • 1972 – Last Earl of Derby dies
  • 1972 – Holiday Inn (later Moat House) opens Paradise St
  • 1972 – 14month Kirkby Rent Strike
  • 1972 – Jacey’s Film Theatre closed Clayton Sq and converted to Blessed Sacrament Church
  • 1972/73 – Start of Loop Line, 3.2km long
  • 1973 – Cavern Club closed in May
  • 1973 – Central Station high/street level demolished
  • 1973 – Last greyhound track White City closes – 6th Oct – Lower Breck Rd
  • 1973 – Last of buildings in South Castle St demolished
  • 1973 – Echo/Daily Post moves to Old Hall St (previously in Victoria St)
  • 1973 – LFC win League and UEFA Cup
  • 1973 – Mass Graves discovered – 3,561, when rebuilding Old Swan primary School
  • 1973 – Exterior of Royal Liver Building cleaned
  • 1973 – Deaf School play first gig at Art School
  • 1973 – Liverpool’s ‘Tatlin Tower’ – Podium designed by Arthur Dooley, erected at the Pier Head
  • 1973/90 – John Smith – Chairman LFC.
  • 1974 – Shankly announces resignation on 12th July
  • 1974 – Radio City launched – 21st Oct. Moves to St John’s Beacon tower in 2000
  • 1974 – Liberals take control of Liverpool City Council
  • 1974 – Merseyside Met Borough created, also Knowsley etc.
  • 1974 – 31st March – Some 140 years after the original Fire Police were formed the City of Liverpool Fire Brigade ceased to exist at midnight, becoming part of the new Merseyside County Fire Brigade
  • 1974 – Sydney Jones Library – Abercromby Sq
  • 1974 – Arthur Dooleys Beatle Statue – ‘Four Lads Who Shook the World’ – Mathew St
  • 1974 – Tower Hill est, Kirkby
  • 1974 – Al-Rahma Mosque, Toxteth completed, Hatherley St
  • 1974 – John Bagots Hospital demolished
  • 1974 – Royal Sun Alliance Building – New Hall Place – Old Hall St
  • 1974 – John Conteh wins WBC Light heavyweight crown
  • 1974 – Princes/George’s Landing Stage scrapped
  • 1974 – Church St pedestrianised
  • 1975 – Port of Liverpool Police Force founded
  • 1975 – The New Brewery in Johnson Street, Liverpool. Closed in March 1975
  • 1975/76 – Pier Head landing stage replaced by smaller one (sinks on opening weekend!!)
  • 1976 – The Real Thing No.1 with ‘You to me are everything’
  • 1976 – St Peters Church church was transferred to the Polish Community and for a short time was known as “Our Lady of Czestochowa”
  • 1976/80 – Eric’s Club opens 1st October
  • 1977 – Liverpool win European Cup v Borrusia Munchen.
  • 1977 – Red Rum wins Grand National for 3rd time
  • 1977 – OpenEye Gallery launched – now at Mann Island – Grapes Hotel Pub Whitechapel/Hood St
  • 1977 – Kenny Dalglish signs for Liverpool – 10th Aug
  • 1977 – John Conteh retains title v Len Hutchins at Liverpool Stadium
  • 1977 – Moorfields Station opens (Exchange closed)
  • 1978 – Royal Northern Hospital closes – Leeds St
  • 1978 – Anglican Cathedral finally completed – started 1904 – largest panel of stained glass in the world. Aligned south-north as opposed to normal east-west
  • 1978 –    Royal Liverpool Hospital opens – replacing 3 other hospitals – Royal Infirmary, Royal Southern, David Lewis Northern
  • 1978 – PO Sorting Office completed Copperas hill – includes tunnel to Lime St Station
  • 1979 – Dunlops Tyre Factory – Speke closes
  • 1979 – St Johns Market fire – old bell saved
  • 1979 – Vandals break in and start fire at Princes Rd Synagogue
  • 1980 – Rocket 150′ celebrations
  • 1980 – Alsops Lower demolished
  • 1980 – Last in line of Molyneux family dies
  • 1980 – John Lennon murdered – Dec 8th – by Mark Chapman in Manhattan
  • 1980 – Start of River Mersey clean-up: 29km interceptor sewer – Sandon Dock Sewage Works 1991 (£50m)
  • 1980 – Merchant vessel MV Derbyshire sinks in South China Sea – 40 people lost including 17 from Liverpool. The Derbyshire was the biggest British merchant ship ever lost at sea.
  • 1980 – 1st March – Dixie Dean dies
  • 1981 – Tate & Lyle closes – 1,500 job losses
  • 1981 – Unemployment in Liverpool hits 20%
  • 1981 – Toxteth Riots – started with arrest of Leroy Cooper in Selbourne St.
  • 1981 – Bill Shankly dies 29th Sept – funeral 2nd Oct
  • 1981 – British Leyland in Speke closes after years of problems
  • 1982 – Shankly Gates – officially opened by his wife Nessie on 26th August 1982
  • 1982 – First Mathew St Festival
  • 1982 – First episode of Brookside – 2nd Nov (Channel 4 starts)
  • c1982 – King Edward Industrial Estate
  • 1982 – Threlfalls (Whitbread) Brewery closes top of Trueman St
  • 1982 – Pagoda Chinese Community Centre founded Henry St
  • 1982 – ‘Boys from the Black Stuff’ on Tv
  • 1982 – 4th May 1982 – Her Majesty the Queen visited St. John’s Market to commemorate the restoration following the disastrous fire in December 1979
  • 1982 – Liverpool Marathon revived – changed to half-marathons in 1995
  • 1982 – Pope John Paul II attends services at Catholic and Anglican cathedrals
  • 1982 – Eleanor Rigby Statue – Met Qtr. Designed and donated by Tommy Steele for ‘half ‘a’ sixpence’ – inside (football sock, Dandy, Beano……)
  • 1983 – The Lybro Factory demolished – Mount Vernon
  • 1983 – Somali Restaurant – Upper Parliament St demolished
  • 1983 – Labour and Militant Tendency win majority in council
  • 1983 – 28th Jan – Billy Fury dies (Robert Wycherley) Born 17/04/40
  • 1983 – 18th Nov at Oxford Street maternity hospital the world’s first surviving set of single-sex sextuplets were born.
  • 1983 – The Picket’ – The Merseyside Unemployed Resource Centre – Hardman St
  • 1984 – Crown Courts opened Derby Sq. – 2nd May by The Queen
  • 1984 – Liverpool Salvage Corp disbanded
  • 1984 – Cavern re-opened more or less on old site – 26th April 84
  • 1984 – Old baths on Steble St re-opened as Liverpool School of Physical Education – Elite Centre opened in 1991
  • 1984 – LFC first football club to win three major competitions in one season
  • 1984 – Liverpool win European Cup v Roma 30th May
  • 1984 – Cavern Walks opened – David Backhouse – pool still underneath
  • 1984 – International Garden Festival – 3.4 million visitors in 1984
  • 1984 – Frankie Goes to Hollywood – No.1 with Relax. Second band to get to no.1 with first 3 singles
  • 1984 – Liverpool Free Port established – Royal Seaforth
  • 1984 – Queen Elizabeth II Law Courts
  • 1984 – Old Dock rediscovered????
  • 1984 – ‘Scully’ on TV
  • 1984 – Tall Ships’ visit Liverpool
  • 1984 – B.A.T. factory closes with loss of 1100 jobs – now flats
  • 1985 – Heysel Tragedy, 29th May
  • 1985 – Everton win Cup Winners Cup
  • 1985 – Blessed Sacrament Church relocates to Dawson St (from ex Jaceys Clayton Sq)
  • 1985 – 1st Oct – evening of ‘riots’ in Princes Rd Toxteth
  • 1985 – After a public enquiry, the last of the remaining Georgian/ Victorian buildings in Clayton Square were demolished
  • 1985 – 47 Labour Councillors disqualified including Derek Hatton – High Court decision leaked at 10:30am!!
  • 1986 – Quiggins ‘store’ opened in 75 Renshaw St – moves to Palatine Building, School Lane in 1988 – closed 2006
  • 1986 – Kings Dock filled in
  • 1986/96 – Mersey Estuary Pollution Alleviation Scheme Local Control (MEPAS)
  • 1986 – Croxteth Hall opened to public
  • 1986 – Coburg Dock Grain Silo demolished
  • 1986 – New Terminal Building at Speke
  • 1986 – new housing developments in Comus St/Christian St
  • 1986 – Mercury Court Development finished (Exchange Station)
  • 1986 – Bread on TV from 1 May 1986 to 3 November 1991
  • 1986/88 – Clayton Square redeveloped – opened by Princess Anne
  • 1987 – Eldonian Village started – Vauxhall – site of old Tate & Lyle refinery – by The Greenman Pub Vauxhall Rd. Canal filled in further from Chisenhale to north of Burlington St
  • 1987 – Statue of Hannah May Thorn relocated to Mazenod Court off Addison St
  • 1987 – One of Brunswick river locks reopened for smaller craft
  • 1987 – Isla Gladstone dies
  • c1987 – ‘Over the bridge’ housing Athol St demolished for industrial buildings
  • 1988 – Wapping Warehouses restored as luxury flats
  • 1988 – Official opening of Albert Dock and Tate Gallery -24th May Prince of Wales
  • 1988 – Gifford Enquiry – looking at race relations in Liverpool – highlighted significant issues
  • 1988 – Liverpool Yacht Club – Brunswick Dock
  • 1989 – Hillsborough – 15th April. JFT96
  • 1989 – Beatles Story – Albert Dock
  • 1989 – Council establishes Liverpool Film Office
  • 1989 – ‘Reconciliation’ statue by Stephen Broadbent – Concert Sq.
  • 1989/97 – Mariners Wharf housing
  • 1990 – Pier Head Bus Station demolished
  • 1990 – John Lennon tribute show on Pier Head – biggest stage in Europe constructed
  • 1990 – Millenium House – City Council Offices – corner of CrosshallSt/Victoria
  • 1990 – Higsons ceases brewing. Cains brand relaunched
  • 1990 – Liverpool City Council sold outright its extensive historic property assets in the Duke Street area of the city to developer Charterhouse.
  • c1990 – old canal warehouses demolished as Leeds St widened
  • 1991 – John Parrott becomes World Snooker Champion
  • 1991 – One million daffodil bulbs planted in Sefton park by Marie Curie Foundation
  • 1991 – Baa Bar opened in Fleet St – start of the new night scene in Rope Walks
  • 1992 – Cream @ Nation Club starts in Wolstenholme Square
  • 1992 – Centenary Stand officially opened at Anfield
  • 1992 – St Paul’s Eye hospital moves from Old Hall St to Royal Liverpool
  • 1992 – Polytechnic becomes Liverpool John Moores University – LJMU
  • 1992 – Development of Princes Dock starts
  • 1992/97 – Liverpool City Challenge – was a five-year central Government initiative aimed at transforming specific rundown inner-city areas
  • 1993 – Aldham Roberts Learning Resource Centre – Maryland St
  • 1993 – Last ship built out of Camell Laird – submarine HMS Unicorn
  • 1993 – 50th Anniversary of Battle of Atlantic
  • 1993 – James Bulger murder
  • 1993 – Merseyside aquires EU ‘Objective One Status’
  • 1993 – Concert Square redeveloped
  • 1993 – Seymour Terrace (Built c1810) Restored 1992 Opened by HRH The Duke of Kent KG 14 Jan
  • 1993 – Lomax club – Lomax Builkdings Cumberland St, moved to Hotham St in 2000
  • 1993 – Two false-starts at the Grand National – race abandoned
  • 1993 – Spirit of Liverpool – removed from Walker Art Gallery dome as unsafe – replaced by replica
  • 1993 – Dean Walters Building  – JMU – Cathedral Precinct/Rodney St
  • 1993 – ‘Time & Tide’ sculpture by Phillip Bews – Queens Dock Customs & Excise Building
  • 1993 – Risen Christ statue Anglican Cathedral -Elisabeth Frink
  • 1993 – HM Revenue and Customs House – Queens Dock
  • 1994 – Kop all-seated
  • 1994 – Queensway Tunnel 60yr celebrations
  • 1994 – Vauxhall Bridge – opened by Cilla Black – over canal at Eldonian Basin – former site of Gerard Bridge
  • 1994 – Roy Vivian Hughes ashes interred at Moorfields St – civil engineer for Merseyrail Underground
  • 1994 – Garlands opens – 24th June – Eberle St
  • 1994 – ‘The Great Escape – horse sculpture – end of Church St – removed 2006.
  • 1994 – Women’s Technology and Education Centre. Over £4 Million was raised over 3 years and with the help of local investors and funding programmes Blackburne House opened again in September.
  • 1995 – Canada Boulevard – Each maple tree has a plaque set in the pavement next to it commemorating a Canadian ship lost at sea in World War II.
  • 1995 – Liverpool Womens Hospital – Crown St/Upper Parliament
  • 1995 – Last public wash-house closes – Fred Robinson, Everton
  • 1995 – Liverpool Docks strike – lasts 3 years
  • 1995 – Everton win FA Cup
  • 1995 – Liverpool Water Sports Centre – Queens Dock
  • 1996 – The North Western Hotel finally reopened as student accommodation for LJMU
  • 1996 – Bob Paisley dies 14th Feb
  • 1997 – John Lennon statue unveiled in Mathew St also Cavern Pub memorial wall
  • 1997 – Notorius Liverpool drugs baron Warren Curtis jailed (in Holland), released 2007. Jailed again 2009 for 13yrs
  • 1997 – Liverpool twinned with Dublin
  • 1997 – Roy Castle Int. Centre for Lung Cancer Research – London Rd
  • 1997/98 – Avril Roberts Learning Resource Centre – 79 Tithebarn
  • 1997/98 – Crowne Plaza Hotel, Princes Dock
  • 1997 – IRA bomb alert at the 150th Grand National the race was run on the Monday
  • 1998 – Anfield Rd new stand opened
  • 1998 – Superlambanana – now at top of Tithebarn
  • 1998 – Brunswick Station opened
  • 1998 – Blackstock St Blitz monument unveiled
  • 1998 – Great Famine memorial in St Lukes, which was unveiled by the then Irish president Mary McAleese
  • 1998 – “Juice FM 107.6 began broadcasting from 27 Fleet Street Liverpool as Crash
  • FM on the 27th March 1998″
  • 1998 – ‘A Case History’ by John King installed in Hope St
  • 1998 – Steven Gerrard debut – v Blackburn Rovers on 29th Nov – 2nd half sub
  • 1998 – Queen Square redevelopment and opening of Swallow Hotel – Marriott (July 2000)
  • 1999 – ‘Liverpool Vision’ initiative formed – urban regeneration company funded by English Partnerships, NWDA, City Council
  • 1999 – Liverpool twinned with Shanghai
  • 1999 – On 9 December 1999 Liverpool City Council passed a formal motion apologising for the City’s part in the slave trade
  • 1999 – Liverpool Biennial – every two years since – arts festival over 10 weeks
  • 1999 – Alder Hey Organ Scandal
  • 1999 – Bob Paisley Gates – 8th April
  • 1999 – Seaforth Wind Farm Turbines x 6

13th-to-16th-Century
17thCentury
18thCentury
19thCentury
top

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s