A new square, initially referred to as Saint Paul’s Church-yard, was laid out in 1760 and surround by spacious three-storey Georgian ‘mansions’ occupied by wealthy merchants, captains, and gentlemen. On the west side it was open to Ladies Walk, Maiden’s Green and views of The Mersey, still at this time a fashionable bathing spot.
Click the link for full PDF: St Pauls_History_Liverpool1207
Footnote: Colin Holland kindly provided some information as follows:
Great website and resources. About the grave of Thomas the comedian at St Paul’s. The grave inscription record does read as Kniveson but his name was Kniveton. Here are some sources that have the Kniveton spelling:-
Lancs OPC burial transcript:-
Burial: 23 Aug 1775 St Paul, Liverpool, Lancs.
Thomas Kniveton –
Register: Burials 1769 – 1812, Page 2, Entry 46
Source: LDS Film 1656373